t w e n t y - s e v e n

kayla

I laid on the couch still shocked from Cameron's visit. I heard a knock at the front door, I groaned before getting up and opening it.

"Shawn?" I asked surprised. "Hey!" He smiled brightly.

"Come in." I smiled kindly. He took a seat on one of the couches opposite of mine. "So why are you here?"

"Just wanted to know if you wanted to go out today?" He asked. "Where to?"

"Maybe to the pools?" He asked. "We can invite everyone" He suggested. "Yes!" I yelled excitedly.

"Okay!" All the boys screamed back. I guess they were listening. "Okay I'll be back" I said to Shawn before sprinting off towards my room.

I changed into a high top black cropped swim top and black and grey swimming shorts. I wore a black shirt over and then wore a thin denim jacket. I slipped on my black flip flops and packed on my bag. I packed sunscreen, extra clothes and a towel. I walked outside my room.

I saw Cameron kissing Julie. They were giggling and laughing. So what was this morning about? He loves me? Haha. Sure he does. I felt my eyes water a bit, I turned around to walk somewhere else when I accidentally bumped into Shawn.

"Oh my god, sorry." I said quickly wiping my tears. "It's fine.. Oh my god Kayla what's wrong?" He asked hugging me. "It's nothing." I said quietly.

He dragged me into the bathroom and wiped my tears. "Don't cry. He's not worth your tears." He says making me smile.

I don't know why Cameron hates him so much, he such a sweetheart.

"Now that's the cute smile I like to see." He whispered in my ear making me blush. He kissed my forehead and walked outside. I followed behind him seeing everyone already ready.

"Dibs driving!" Johnson said. "Dibs front seat!" Nash yelled. "Awwwe!!" Everyone groans, Nash just smiled proudly.

"Dibs back 2 seats!" I yelled. "Other back seat!" Shawn yelled making me laugh. I looked over to Cameron who had a look that I couldn't quite put my finger on. He looked depressed, hurt and angry. His bags underneath his eyes are very noticeable to me.

We all piled into the car, Shawn sat next to me while Julie, Cameron and Jack sat in front. Hayes and Matt passed, instead they went to a party. Shawn hung his arm over my shoulders and pulled me closer to his chest. It wasn't as awkward I guess, he's just a friend.

+

"Let's go!" Nash screamed jumping out of the car. We slowly exited the car and entered the pools. Nash and Johnson headed straight and jumped into the pool. I laughed shaking my head and placed my bag on the benches.

I took off my jacket. Cameron and Julie already went inside the pool. Cameron was teaching Julie how to swim, what a bitch. She's such a fake, she was the champion swimmer of the team last year. I scoffed and roll my eyes.

"Ready?" Shawn asked. "Just wait." I said taking off my shirt and folding in into my bag. I looked over at Shawn who was staring at me. "Now I'm ready." I smiled, but Shawn kept still staring at me.

"Stop staring, it makes me feel insecure" I mumbled covering my stomach. "No no Kayla, it's not like that." He said smiling. "You're beautiful."

I smiled at him. He soft lips was soon to touch mine, I didn't kiss back. This is whole new level of awkward. I still like Cameron. No Kayla, I have to get over him. He's never going to love me like before, he's with Julie.

Shawn pulled back. "Oh my god sorry, I was just-" He said panicking. "It's fine." I smiled kissing him again. He smiled through the kiss. What did I just do?

"Let's go." He smiled grabbing my hands and running into the pool. I laughed as I slipped inside the pool.

"Shawn!" I yelled. "Did you really have to make me drown?" I pouted.

"Sorry." He smiled cheekily pushing me. He smiled and splashed me with water. "You ass!" I yelled.

+

I laughed climbing out of the pool. I sat next to my bag drying off for a bit. "Kayla." Jack said sitting next to me dripping wet. "Hey." I smiled.

My phone started ringing. "Excuse me." I said reading who was calling me. My mum was calling. I put it on speaker after answering it, letting Jack listen as well.

"Hey mum." I said brightly. "Kayla.." She cracked. I looked at Jack worriedly who had the same expression.

"Mum what's wrong?" I asked scared. "I'm so sorry." She said. "For what? Mum what happened?" I panicked.

She started crying at the other end of the line. "Ms Thompson, It's Jack Gilinsky . Are you alright?" Jack asked. "Jack?" She gasped. "Yes?" He asked.

"Oh my god, thank god you're here." She said, her voice sounded relieved.

I was worried, like very worried. My leg couldn't stop shaking.

"Mum what's wrong?" I asked again. "Dad.." She started. No no no. It can't be happening. "He- he passed, I'm so sorry." She said sniffing.

I felt my eyes sting, tears pour down my cheeks. "No..." I whispered. "Kayla honey?" She asked.

"I love you, stay alive please." She said. "What do you mean?" I suddenly asked.

"Kayla I'm sorry" She said before she ended the call. Jack pulled me on his lap and rubbed my back.

"Is she going to die as well? What did she mean?" I looked up at Jack with tears in my eyes.

"Am I going to die?"