f o r t y - o n e

aaliyah

I saw Kayla waiting in line. She didn't look okay. I shook it off, she should be fine... right? The next thing I know, I heard screaming and everyone running here and there.

My eyes scanned the place until I saw Kayla's limp body on the floor. What? She was shaking and her skin turned slightly purple. I quickly ran towards her.

"KAYLA!" I shrieked kneeling beside her body. Her eyes were closing, no no no no no.

My breathing started to become heavy. What do I do, what do I do? I panicked and saw people calling the ambulance. I took the chance to grab her phone, I entered the passcode. 'Cameron' easy, state the obvious.

I dialled Cameron's number. "Hey Kayla." I heard him say. I saw Kayla's body being dragged onto the van. Without me?!

"Kayla!" I breathed. "Aaliyah?" I heard his voice in shock.

"What happened?" he asked. "I don't know." I said sniffling. The van drove away and I was left here stranded.

"Tell me where you are, I'm coming." He said. "Ice-cream store. The one down the road." I said starting to run down the road.

"What happened to Kayla?" He asked. "Hospital." I said panicking.

"WHAT? WHY?!" He practically yelled through the phone. "I don't know, I don't know." I said starting to cry.

"Hang in there." He said. I saw his car park in front of me. "Get in." He said and I obeyed jumping in. He pressed on the pedal and the car went.

"Are you okay? Hurt? In any pain?" he asked holding my hand. "No I'm fine." I sighed.

"Is she going to be okay?" I muttered. He nodded, "She's strong. Can you tell me what exactly happened?" He asked.

"She was lining up to order then-" He cut me off. "Shit..." He mumbled.

"What?" I asked. "I'm stupid, fucking hell!" He yelled angrily constantly banging on the steering wheel. I was confused.

"Calm down..." I whispered softly placing my hands on his. I could tell he relaxed almost instantly.

"Why are you mad?" I asked. "Kayla, she, she..." He started panicking again. "Cameron." I said. He started angrily muttering words to himself, ignoring everything I said.

"CAMERON!" I yelled trying to make him snap out of it, nothing. He continued to mutter and mumble words to himself, getting angrier by the second.

"DAD!" I shrieked. His mouth glued shut and he looked at me.

"What's wrong? Why are you acting like this?" I asked. "Kayla, she has a fear. A really big fear." He said taking a breath.

"She can't order, she can't talk to people in public. She gets overwhelmed, she thinks she's too needy when ordering. I don't know she just can't and she's always been like that. I was stupid, I let her go. I forgot, I forgot it all and now look where she is." He explained. My eyes softened.

+

kayla

I lifted my eyelids. The brightness killed me. I groaned and turned around, my face hitting something. "Morning princess." I heard Cameron say. I mumbled something on his chest and he chuckled.

"Where am I?" I asked. "Home, I brought you home not long ago." He said and I softly nodded.

"You feeling okay?" He asked. I sighed and sat up. I rubbed my eyes.

"Did we miss our flight?" I asked and he shook his head no. "We could leave now, the plane is leaving in half an hour" he said.

"HALF AN HOUR?!" I yelled. "NOT LATE?!" I yelled again. "You're out of your bloody mind young man, we're leaving now." I said and jumped right in his shower. I took a quick shower and changed into sweats and a random shirt.