Chapter 36

AUDREY POV: Eric and I drove home, just in time to realize that I left my phone at Dad's yesterday. So, I'm driving back today to get it. I kept calling the house, but Dad never answered so I guess I'll just drive down and see where he is. 

I pull into his drive to see his car there too. My heart begins to race as I think back to 6 years ago. I plow through the front drove to hear Carrie's song playing on the radio. I'm waiting to see him crying on the island, but then a little girl walks in my line of sight. She's dancing and singing along. She looks identical to Carrie... Then I start to hear Dad singing too. They're both laughing when Dad spots me.

"Oh hey Audrey!" He says laughing. My jaw drops. The girl looks like dad too.

"Hi... Who is this?" I say questionably. 

"This is Alli. Alli, this is my other daughter Audrey." Dad says, squatting down beside her. 

"Hi Audrey!" She says smiling. Dad's smile is the brightest I've seen it since Mom.

"Hi sweetheart." I reply sweetly. "Are you going to explain?" I whisper to Dad, a little less sweet.

"Hey Alli, can Audrey and I have a second?"

"Sure!" She says, as she runs upstairs. Dad smiles, as he watches her. Dad then looks at me, trying to hide his smile but it doesn't work. 

"Carrie was about 8 months pregnant when she died. Before she died, they were able to get the baby out, but I placed her up for adoption, because at the time, I didn't think I could handle a kid. I got a call yesterday and they needed someone to foster or adopt her, so I adopted her back." He says.

"You can't just decide you want to raise a kid that quickly, Dad!" I say, trying to keep quiet.

"Listen, Audrey, I'm happy. She's a good kid, who's been through a lot. This is the least I could do for her. I've raised kids before, and I think I'm at a good place in my life where this all feels right. We have everything under control, alright?" He says, still smiling. I should drop the issue, because he's not going to think anything over.

"Fine. Well, I left my phone here last night, and I was coming to pick it up." I said

"Oh, I put it on the counter... Here it is!" He said handing it to me.

"Thanks." Alli runs to the top of the stairs.

"Can I come back down now?" 

"Yeah, sweetheart." Dad says, laughing. She races down the stairs and goes directly to his side. 

"Is Audrey going to stay for diner?" She says bouncing up and down. 

"I don't know. Audrey, you want to stay for diner? It's mac and cheese with hot dogs!" He says enthusiastically. In his defense, he seems really happy. I haven't seen him this happy and peppy since mom died 13 years ago. 

"Sure!" I say trying to sound as enthusiastic as them. Dad smiles and picks up Alli to put her up on his shoulders. For just knowing each other one day, they're so close. I mean, Dad has always been a good father, but this is really quick. I don't know, maybe this is what he needed.