Chapter 46

TIM POV: "Dad, you have cancer." Alli says, tears flowing from her eyes. 

"What?" I say in disbelief. 

"You have cardiovascular cancer. They found it when they did the surgery. They said it was too far along to fix, and that there's nothing they can do to fix it-" I wrap my arms around her to calm her down. She's shaking so hard and heaving too. It breaks my heart to hear her like this. Gracie walks in the room, and looks shocked to see Alli crying.

"What happened? Is Alli okay?"

"Yeah. She told me about the cancer." I tell Gracie, keeping my arms tightly wrapped around Alli.

"She wasn't supposed to... Dad, I'm so sorry." Gracie says. 

"Don't be sorry for me." I say, then look at Alli, as if to signal to Gracie. 

"Alright, well, I'll give you two a minute." She says, as she heads out of the room. 

"Hey, baby" I say, releasing my grip around Alli. She looks up, her eyes still full of tears. I brush back her hair and wipe away her tears, in an attempt to soothe her. It breaks my heart that she is this torn up about it. I probably should be more worried than I am right now about the cancer, but Alli needs me right now, so that can wait. 

"I can't loose you too Dad." She says, burying her head in the hospital bed. 

"Come here." I say, patting the space beside me. She hops up and puts her head on the right side of my chest.  I start to sing to her, attempting to get her to calm down.

"Gotta hold on easy as I let you go. Gonna tell you how much I love you, though you think you already know. I remember I thought you looked like an angel wrapped in pink so soft and warm. You've had me wrapped around your finger since the day you were born. You're beautiful baby from the outside in. Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again. Go on, take on this whole world. But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl." I wrote that song after I gave her up for adoption. I can't help but have tears fill my eyes at the thought of me not being there for her again. I hold her close and close my eyes, trying to make this moment last.