The bag

Melody

  Daryl snapped back into reality and put his crossbow to T-dogs head.

  Glenn and I shouted at him to stop and Rick put a gun to Daryls head.

  "I will do it. I don't care if every walker in the city hears it." Daryl gave in and put the crossbow down. Walker.. that's one thing to call them.

  Daryl walked over to the hand and wrapped it up in a rag -God knows why- and stuck it in Glenn's bag. Then started to follow the blood tracks.

  The tracks led us to two dead walkers in another store and then trailed into the kitchen. I could smell the burnt flesh before I even got into the room. And inside there were four flames, an iron, and a lot of blood.

  "What's that burnt stuff?" Glenn asked, obviously disgusted.

  "Skin." Rick answered immediately, "He cauterized it."

  I looked away, gagging. But Daryl made his way over to a broken window.

  "He must have jumped onto the escape." Daryl said. Flashbacks suddenly popped into my head. Dallas and I, on our fire escape dancing to old music. It's stupid I know, but that was us. A tear rolled down my face, leaving a cold trail. I quickly wiped it away, looking to the roof just as Daryl turned around. His face flashed a curious look, but he shrugged it off and kept on his way.

  We all sat down in an office and discussed a plan to get a bag of guns that was left near the tank that Rick had been trapped in. I zoned out and looked out the window to the once busy streets filled with cars and people trying to get to work, now filled with walkers and sandbags.

  "Hey, what'd you do before all this?" I heard Daryl ask Glenn.

  "A pizza delivery man. Why?" Answered Glenn. I just faintly smiled and got up, walking over to the rest of them.

  "Melody, you'll be with Daryl, waiting for me if the path is clear." I nodded and we set out to get into our positions.

  We climbed back down the ladder and Rick and T-dog went two blocks over to cover Glenn if he needed it. Daryl and I waited in the original alley.

  "You got some balls for a China Man." Daryl said, loading his crossbow.

  "I'm Korean." Glenn replied.

  "Whatever." And with that, Glenn set off.

  "What happened?" Daryl broke the silence, keeping his gaze on the street.

  I stayed quiet for a minute, just hearing the faint groans of the walkers. He glanced at me, waiting for a response.

"What do you mean?" I asked, knowing what he was referring to.

"You were.. crying earlier." He looked down. I stayed silent for another moment, thinking of what to say.

  "I got reminded of someone." I crouched next to Daryl behind the dumpster. "The man I was supposed to get married to when this all started. The world ended on my wedding day," I laughed at the irony as I felt cool tears begin to pool. I looked up, blinking them away, "I uhm- I watched him die as I walked down the aisle... so much for the happiest day of your life." I looked down, shaking my head.

  When I looked back up Daryl sat speechless, but his shocked expression quickly got replaced with his neutral face when we heard foot steps.

  Daryl and I got up and we saw a kid, no older than 18, standing there.

  He held up his bow. "Who are you?" The kid stayed silent and scared. "Answer me!" The kid didn't answer.

"Ayudame!" The kid screamed at the top of his lungs.

  He kept shouting and Daryl hit him with his bow. He grabbed the kid and covered his mouth to shut him up, but two big guys showed up and began to beat us down. One of the men started hitting Daryl and I got up to try to stop him, but the other guy pushed me to the ground. He brutally kicked me in the stomach and I rolled onto my back, finding it harder and harder to breathe. I tried to get up but he just punched me in the jaw and I fell back down, my head hitting the ground. He momentarily stopped and I turned to get a breath in. I kicked my leg up, hitting him in the crotch and he doubled over in pain and backed up. With a groan, he tightened his grip on his gun and hit me with the butt of it.

  I became disoriented and shook my head, bringing my hand to my head. The man stood back up and I heard shouting, seeing Rick and T-dog running from one way, and Glenn running in from the other.

  "That's it! That's the bag!" Shouted the man that I had just kicked, he grunted and pointed to the bag of guns that Glenn had.

  "Go grab it!" Yelled the other man. They both stopped and grabbed Glenn, who wouldn't let go of the bag. I turned to Daryl who had his crossbow aimed and ready and he shot one of the men right in the butt. He screamed and they picked up Glenn.

"Get off! Get off me!" Glenn kept screaming. "Daryl, Rick! No!" He tried to fight them but they just threw him into a getaway car that had just arrived.

  "No! Come back here!" Daryl yelled, getting up and attempting to leave and follow, but then closing the gate because walkers were getting too close. I was still on the ground. My ears started ringing.

  Rick and T-Dog finally arrived and Rick had to hold Daryl back from trying to kill the kid that the guys left behind.

  "They took Glenn!" Daryl was shouting. I rolled on my side, coughing.

  "Rick," I whimpered, bringing my hand to my head. I sat up as T-Dog noticed me on the ground. The world became fuzzy and I looked up, seeing walkers crowd the fence.

  "Rick," T-Dog's voice echoed in my head as the white noise from the walkers clouded my brain. I couldn't see much, and my vision began to tunnel while Rick crouched in front of me, barely audibly shouting my name. Then my vision went out completely.

***

~kenz