No sanctuary

I scratched a sharpened rock against the concrete floor of the train car and looked up at John, who was trying to cut a piece of sharp wood from the side with a chain. His friend was sitting in the corner with a piece of broken metal, trying to make a point out of that.

We suddenly heard a loud bang on the door and I got up quickly to take my place next to the door, gripping the rock.

  "Go on either sides of the car now!" A man yelled. I gripped the rock tighter and positioned myself  in a fighting stance. The top of the car was suddenly opened and John and the girl ran away from the sudden light exposure. A metal can was thrown down and my eyes widened. It beeped then went off and my vision went blurry. I started coughing and everything was spinning.

  "What the hell?" I mumbled as I stumbled aimlessly and wildly swinging my makeshift weapon. Next thing I knew I was being pulled out and thrown on the ground. I looked around and tried to focus on something, seeing the same thing happening to the train car across from us. I felt someone kick my head and my vision went black.

***

  I woke up to someone tying me up. My eyes snapped open and I noticed there was a gag in my mouth. I looked down and realized I had been kneeling in front of a bathtub. Next to me on my left sat a man with blonde hair, another man screaming and one more who repeatedly moved his shoulders back and forth in an attempt to get out. I blinked a few times and looked to my right, meeting eyes with Glenn, Bob and Rick. Between Rick and Glenn was Daryl, who was still unconscious.

  I felt a pang in my chest and looked up, seeing one of the men from the roof and two men with bloody plastic aprons on. A saw buzzed and a lump formed in my throat when I saw two more men cutting up a person on a table. I turned my head back to my family with a scared look.

  Daryl started to move and jolted awake, immediately looking around. His frantic glances around stopped when he saw me. There was a moment of relief in his eyes that was quickly replaced with anger as he realized what would soon take place. He started to struggle more and move around, scared and angry. Rick was fuming as his eyes darted around the room, landing in a cold stare towards the door. Glenn and Bob both looked scared.

Rick looked at me with irate eyes. He had probably thought I was dead. The empty feeling inside of me partially numbed my fear, but the feeling of my hands tied together mixed with the concrete beneath me and the tub in front of me reminded me of the events about to unfold. I took note of my surroundings; it didn't feel real.

A man who had been practicing swinging a bat walked up to the blonde guy and swung the bat at his head, no hesitation, then pulled his head back and slit his throat. My blood ran cold and my breathing picked up. Tears spilled out of my eyes and I looked over to my right again. They all wore a look of terror on their faces. I couldn't see a way out of this.

The man swung the bat again at the next guy and slit his throat. The man who told me to get into the train car walked in right before they got to the guy next to me.

"What were your shot counts?" He asked.

"38." The man with the bat said and swung again, then the other one sliced.

They got to me and I looked to Daryl and Rick, wanting them to be the last people I saw before I died. They both had wide eyes and Rick's showed pain. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, shaking. I heard Daryl struggling more and everyone to my right breathing heavily.

"Hey!" The roof guy said. I heard a clink on the ground, indicating that the bat was put down. "Your shot count." He said. I opened my eyes when there was a silence and let out the breath I was holding.