The tombs

I sat up in my cot and just stared at the bright window. It had been about an hour or two and they still hadn't come back.

  My head hurt, so I reached into my bag and pulled out a small bottle of pills that the label was rubbed off of. I popped two in my mouth and hoped that they would help.

I wasn't as tired as I was before, so I went down the stairs then heard screaming.

"Open the door! Carl!" Rick yelled. Carl opened the door and they rolled Hershel in. His leg was cut off.

"What happened?" I asked.

"He was bit." Rick said. I gasped and ran into an empty cell, grabbing a sheet and pillow cases.

I ran back and gave them to Lori.

Carl ran in just after me and set some towels down on the table.

I walked out of the over crowded cell, scared I would panic, and I walked over into the other room.

Daryl was the only one there, waiting with his crossbow out and pointed to the door they had come from. I got my gun out and kept it in my hand. I heard footsteps and held my gun tighter. Five men walked in dressed as prisoners and put my gun up.

"That's far enough." Daryl stopped them.

"Cell block C. Cell block 4, that's mine. Let me in." One of them said.

"Today's your lucky day fellas. You've been pardoned by the state of Georgia, you're free to go." Daryl said, not putting his crossbow down.

"What you got going on in there?" The guy asked.

"Ain't none of your concern." Daryl replied. I kept my gun up and watched them carefully.

"Don't be telling me what's my concern." The guy said, taking his gun out. Daryl moved away from the table and I moved to where I could get a better aim.

"Chill man, the dudes leg is messed up. Besides, we're free now. What are we still doing here?" One of the other guys spoke.

"Man's got a point." I said.

"Yeah, and I gotta check on my old lady." Another guy said.

"A group of civilians breaking in to a prison, you got no business being in, got me thinking there's no place to go." The first guy said.

"Why don't you go find out." Daryl said.

"Maybe we'll just be going." One of the other guys said.

"We ain't leaving." The first guy said.

"You ain't coming in either." I said. T-dog came out and held his gun up.

"Hey, this is my house, my rules, I go where I please." He said.

"You don't have any reason to be here." I said.

"Who's this, your girlfriend?" He asked, pointing the gun at me and looking at Daryl. I scoffed.

"Hey! Go climb back into the rathole you care from!" Daryl raised his voice and took another step towards him.

"This is my place!" The guy said, keeping his gun pointed at me.

"There ain't nothing for you here!" Daryl yelled. "Why don't you just go back to your own sand box?"

Rick ran in, "Everyone relax, there's no need for this."

"How many of you are in there?" The guy asked.

"Too many for you to handle." Rick answered.

"You guys rob a bank or something? Why don't you take him to a hospital?" The guy asked. I lowered my gun a bit and gave him a confused look. We all looked around at each other.

"How long have you been locked in that cafeteria?" Rick asked.

"I don't know, like ten months." The prisoner replied.

"Riot broke out, never seen anything like it." The big guy said.

"Attica on speed, man." A guy with a really strong country accent said.

The smallest guy spoke up. "Heard about dudes going cannibal. Dying, coming back to life. Crazy."

"One guard looked out for us, locked us up in the cafeteria, threw me this piece and said sit tight. Told us he'd come back for us." The first guy said.

"That was 292 days ago." The big guy said. "We were thinking that the army or something could be showing up any day now."

"There is no army." Rick said.

"What do you mean?" The first guy asked.

"There's no government, no hospitals, no police. It's all gone." He elaborated.

"For real?" The country one asked. Rick nodded.

"What about our families? You got a cell phone or something so that we could call our families?" The big one asked.

"You just don't get it do you." Daryl asked.

"No phones, no electricity." I added. Daryl lowered his crossbow, so I lowered my gun too. "As far as we can see, half the population has been wiped out.

"Ain't no way." The guy said.

"See for yourself." Rick said, walking over to the door and opening it. The blinding light spilled into the room as soon as the door was opened. I stayed behind and walked back to my cell.

  That's horrible, having to find out like this. After so long?

  I dug into my bag and pulled out some chips, then decided to save it for a better time.

  "The food's here!" Someone yelled after a little while.

  The door opened and I ran out onto the perch. Daryl, Rick and T-dog came in with huge bags and cans of food.

  They set it all down a left to go get more. I looked at it with wide eyes.

  "Where did you find that?" I asked.

  Rick smiled, "We made a deal."

***

That's it for now.

-Kenzie