The night sky

We were all huddled in a circle around a fire. We were all laughing and eating whatever we had. Rick was walking around the perimeter and planning out in his head, how we were going to take over the second part. And Daryl was keeping watch.

  "Tomorrow we'll pull all the bodies together and if we can dig a canal under the fence, we'll have fresh water." T-dog said.

  "The soil is good, we could plant some seed." Hershel added. "That's his third time around. If any of it were compromised, he'd have found it by now." Hershel pointed to Rick.

  "This'll be a good place to have the baby. Safe." Beth said to Lori and she smiled.

  Beth started to sing after a while and Daryl and Carol walked back to the fire.
Maggie started singing with her and Rick came back. Daryl sat about a foot away from me and Carol sat next to him on the other side.

  I laid down and looked up at night sky, smiling. I watched the stars and soaked in this perfect moment.

  After Beth and Maggie got done singing, Rick started to talk about what we were going to do tomorrow. He didn't talk for long, but when he was done, we all laid down and slept. I closed my eyes and let my exhaustion carry me into sleep.

***

  We stood at the gate, waiting for Rick to open it, so we could steal this place once and for all.

  He slid the gate open and we filed in, stabbing any walkers that we saw. There were only 6 of us inside and the rest were stabbing walkers through the gate.

  We moved together in a circle.

  "Don't break rank! T! Maggie!" Rick yelled as T-dog ran to grab a shield and Maggie followed.

  They regrouped and we kept moving. All the walkers in the section that we were in were dead. Rick turned a corner, then immediately came back.

  We pressed our backs against a wall and Daryl stood behind with his crossbow ready.

  A few walkers turned a corner with masks and armor.

  I pushed a walker back and stabbed another in the head. Everyone else just hit the armored ones on the masks repeatedly until Maggie went underneath to stab one.

  We all followed what she did and stabbed under the mask.

  "Daryl!" Rick yelled and He ran over to the gate and helped him close it.

  Once the gate was shut, we killed the last of the walkers.

  Glenn started to run to the fence where the rest of the group was.

  "Stop." Rick said.

  "Well, it looks secure." Glenn said.

  "Not from the look of that courtyard over there. And that's a civilian." Daryl pointed to a walker on the ground.

  "So the inside could be over run." T-dog said.

  "Well if there's walls down, what are we gonna do? We can't rebuild an entire prison." Glenn asked.

  "We can't risk a blind spot. We have to push in." Rick said and we went in one of the buildings.

  We quietly walked into a dark building and Glenn shut the door behind us. We walked around, checking each door and looking around.

  Rick went up the stairs and came down with a set of keys. No one said a word still and Rick unlocked a fence/gate that lead to another section of the room that had cells.

  We cleared out any walkers or bodies that were in the cells and I ran outside and brought the rest of the group in.

  "What do you think?" Rick asked and they walked in.

  "Home sweet home." Glenn said.

  "For the time being." Rick said.

  "It's secure?" Lori asked.

  "This cellblock is." He answered.

  "We sleep in the cells?" Beth asked.

  "We found keys on some guards. Daryl has a set too." He replied.

  "I ain't sleeping in no cage." Daryl piped in. "I'll take the perch."

  We all found a cell and most people shared with each other, but I had my own on the second floor. I unintentionally picked the cell right next to where Daryl was sleeping on the perch.

  It was a pretty clean cell. No blood on the walls and both cots had blankets and pillows. I laid down on the bottom cot and closed my eyes, resting because I was still exhausted.

  I woke up to people shuffling around downstairs. I got up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, then went down and saw people putting on armor.

  "What's going on?" I asked, still pretty sleep deprived.

  "We're going to clear out the tombs." Rick answered. I nodded and bent down to put on some armor.

  "No, I need you to stay here." He took it out of my hands. I felt like my eyes were betraying me. They kept trying to close.

  "I don't need your permission to help." I said, trying to get the armor back.

  "You're exhausted. You shouldn't be out there." He said. I sighed and sat on the steps.

  More than half the group left to go clear out the tombs and I went back up the stairs and pulled a granola bar out of my bag, ate it, then closed my eyes again. But I didn't quite sleep.

***

I'm so tired right now.

-Kenzie