Walker bait

It had been a few days since Carl was shot. There were some operations done and it honestly hurt to hear him screaming like that. I couldn't imagine his pain and I was the one who had to hold him down.

The rest of the group arrived two days ago and we've been trying establish what we're going to do as far as staying here goes.

Hershel doesn't want us to stay. He doesn't know what it's like out there. Rick has been trying to convince him, but he says that as soon as Carl is up and moving, we're gone.

  Shane left to go look for medical things for Carl a few days ago and came back last night right before the surgery for Carl. That surgery could have killed him if Shane hadn't come back when he did. The man that shot Carl had died on the run though and we had a funeral for him. After he came back, Shane shaved his head.

  Glenn likes to talk to Maggie and I feel like they could really hit it off.

  I went outside to see if I was needed anywhere and I found a few of the group and Maggie huddled near a well.

  They were tying Glenn up in a rope.

  "Hey, what's going on here." I asked, running up to the group.

  "We need to get that," Glenn pointed into the well "out of there for clean water."

  I looked in and saw a giant, bloated, ugly, fat walker.

  "How are you going to do that?" I asked, blocking the sun out of my eyes with my hand.

  Glenn pointed to the rope that was wrapped around his waist and looped up around his shoulders as a harness.

  "You're going to die." I chuckled, quickly looking around and knocking on the closest wood I saw.

  He shrugged and sat on the side of the well, Shane tightened the rope one more time.

  "Have I mentioned that I really like your haircut?" Glenn looked up to Shane, "You have a nice shaped head." Glenn said quickly. I chuckled and walked over to where the rope was wrapped around a pole to keep it steady. Maggie stood a few feet away, doubting that this will work.

  "You people are crazy." She said, crossing her arms.

  "You want that thing out of your well or not?" Shane said, adjusting his grip.

  "Give us an eye there Maggie." Dale pointed to the well.

  She uncrossed her arms and walked over to the well. Glenn started to lower himself in and she looked down.

  "Doin' okay?" She yelled in.

  "Yup, doing great!" He said unconvincingly.

  I grabbed a hold of the rope and we all started to lower him into the well. Little by little.

  "Little lower... little more." Maggie directed us.

  The pole that was keeping the rope steady started to give way and finally tipped fully, causing the Glenn to fall a few feet lower in the well. He let out a scream and Lori yelled to grab the rope. Glenn started to free fall and people fell to the ground trying to steady the rope.

  "Get me out of here!" Glenn shouted.

  T-dog was the only one holding onto the rope and pole. He wrapped it around his arm and we all held him in place, trying to keep himself from going in as well.

  "Get it off! Get off!" Glenn kept shouting from in the well.

Maggie grabbed hold of the back and we started to pull him up and out of the well. We were all on the ground, each grabbing the rope all at the same time, trying to get him fully out. Glenn was still screaming and we started to go backwards. The more we pulled, it seemed like the less progress we made. People were shouting and some even let go, but Shane, Lori and I held on tight.

  We finally saw Glenn poke his head up and pull himself out of the well.

  He climbed up and onto the ground, but we still had to pull the walker up. Glenn grabbed onto the rope as well after getting up and we pulled the fat thing up.

  It was about halfway out of the well when it's stomach started to tear. My eyes widened as I watched the bottom half of the walker fall into the well, along with it's guts and blood.

  So much for clean water.

  I looked at the walker again. It's ears were oozing and it was still moving.

"We should seal off this well." Dale said.

"Yeah, that might be a good idea." Shane answered. Rubbing the back of his head.

"Well what are we going to do about-" Andrea started to say, but was cut off by T-dog hitting it repeatedly in the head.

Maggie looked absolutely mortified. I gagged a little in my mouth and turned around.

"Good thing we didn't do something stupid like shoot it." T-dog said sarcastically, dropping the pole.

I walked over to the RV and saw that it looked really clean. I walked into the back, finding Carol cleaning up. She sat down and started to knit.

"I cleaned up. I wanted it to be nice for her." She said, acknowledging my presence. I nodded and silently made my way to the front, sitting on the couch and getting out a book, Quarantine, and opening to where I left off.

I was a few chapters in when I heard the door open again. Daryl walked in, his expression, not so angry this time.

He saw me and I waved, he nodded and looked around, then walked to the back. I noticed a rose in a beer bottle in his hand.

Carol repeated what she had said to me to Daryl.

"I almost thought I had walked into the wrong place." Daryl said to Carol. I felt kinda odd listening in on their conversation, but I mean, I'm right here.

I looked up, watching him lightly set the bottle down.

"A flower?" Carol asked.

"It's a Cherokee rose." He paused, walking further into the back room. "The story is that when American soldiers were moving Indians off their land on the trail of tears the Cherokee mothers were grieving and crying so much 'cause they were losing their little ones along the way from exposure and disease and starvation. A lot of them just disappeared. So the elders, they, uh, said a prayer. Asked for a sign to uplift the mothers' spirits, give them strength and hope. The next day, this rose started to grow right where the mothers' tears fell." He stopped again, shifting in his spots. I heard Carol sniff.

"I'm not fool enough to think there's any flowers blooming for my brother. But I believe this one bloomed for your little girl." He finished. My heart honestly hurt to hear him say that. Carol sniffed again and laughed.

He walked out of the room, almost hesitantly and walked past me, looking back to Carol and smiling a bit.

"She's really going to like it here." He said, I couldn't see Carol, but I knew she was smiling.

He looked at me and looked down. It was almost as if he didn't know what to do with himself. He got to the door and quickly left.

This is the side of him that I know is the real him. I know he's capable of caring.

***

  Boring, I know, my writing is getting worse.

Let me know what I could do better

~Kenzie