Isolation

Do you know what it's like to be alone even while you're surrounded? To see people dying everywhere around you, but somehow, you're still here? To be in complete isolation and slowly be dying yourself? That's what it's like in quarantine.

  We can't help some of them. It's the symptoms that kill you, but sometimes they can't fight the symptoms. I've gotten a bit better, so I've been helping Hershel out and taking out the dead ones where others can't see. I want to leave this place so bad.

  I heard the door open and close, so I went out to see who had come in. I locked eyes with John and let out a shaky breath. I held onto the wall and walked over to him, a lump forming in my throat.

  "What are you doing here?" I asked, my eyes brimming with tears.

  "I'm sick." He said, before coughing and I frowned.

  I led him to a cell and went back up to help Hershel, Glenn and Sasha. He gave them tea and then handed me a mug. I drank it slowly, careful not to upset anything.

  I sat on a chair and we heard someone cough two cells away. Hershel got up quickly and we followed as quick as we could. We found Hershel helping a man that had come in about a week ago, telling him to breathe and not let the symptoms get to him.

  Glenn and Sasha helped Hershel help the man breathe and I suddenly felt like I couldn't. I started to take long breaths and I backed out of the cell, closing my eyes, trying not to let the symptoms get to me.

  I failed and started coughing harshly. Glenn looked back at me and started talking to me, but I couldn't hear. I sat with my back flat against the wall and in between coughs I breathed and tried to stop it. It ended up just being me wheezing loudly. Hershel had gotten the man to calm down and Sasha stayed with him, Hershel coming over to me.

  He put his hand on my shoulder and told me to breathe and control the symptoms, not let the symptoms control me.

  I stopped coughing and I took in a sharp intake of breath, relieved that I could take in some air finally. I breathed heavily and Hershel handed me the tea that I had been drinking.

  "If we keep fighting and resisting the symptoms, we can beat this." Hershel nodded.

  I steadied my breathing and got up, leaning on the railing. Something on my face felt wet and I touched my chin, seeing blood on my fingers. I wiped my chin quickly, wanting to ignore what I had seen. I looked down to see John watching with a concerned face from downstairs.

  I mouthed "I'm okay" to him and he nodded, walking back into his cell.

  I didn't feel as bad as I did when I first had come into quarantine. I felt like I could probably leave soon.

  I walked down stairs and into my cell, laying in the dark, sweat stained sheets. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and under my nose because it was starting to irritate me.

  I sighed and closed my eyes, trying to sleep in a comfortable position, but I ended up falling asleep with a cold sweat.

***

Just a filler, I'll write the next chapter much better.

-Kenzie