Shot

I was walking with Maggie to help her with the chickens when I spotted something running at the other end of the farm.

  "Isn't that the horse that Daryl left on?" Maggie asked, squinting her eyes to see.

  I nodded and ran towards the horse. I ran to a gate and the horse stopped, lifting up it's front hooves and kicking them forward. I held my arm up and ducked down, backing up at the same time.

  Maggie ran up and calmed the horse down a bit. She started to walk the horse back to its stable and I looked in the direction it came from.

  "Wait." I stopped Maggie. "Could I take her to go look for him?" I pointed to the horse. She nodded and handed the reins to me. It had been a while since I rode a horse, but I still remember.

  I kicked it's sides with my heel and held on tight as she ran back towards where she came from.

  We got into the woods and I dodged branches and low hanging vines.

  She suddenly started to freak out as we came up on a stream. I looked downstream and turned her that way. I scanned the stream and eventually it started to pick up a bit as we went down. I looked ahead of me and saw a drop with a small pocket surrounded mostly by cliffs about 15-20 feet high. It was a small little area, but I decided to look anyway.

  I spotted something stuck on a branch right before the drop off and I got of the horse, tying her up loosely and walking into the water. I went up to the branch and grabbed the thing stuck on it. I realized that I was holding an arrow. I looked down and saw Daryl at the bottom in the sand. His eyes were closed and a walker was heading straight for him.

  I was careful not to scream incase there were others close by. I ran back out of the water and to the horse, untied her and found the quickest way down there. There was a small path that lead down, not too steep, so I went with that. As soon as I got down I jumped off of her and ran up to the walker that was now biting Daryl's boot. My heart started to race as I pulled out my knife from my belt and grabbed the walker off of Daryl.

  I threw it to the side and got down on my knee, stabbing it in the head. I turned to look at Daryl and noticed an arrow sticking out of his side.

  I bent down next to Daryl and put my ear to his chest. I steadied my breathing and kept quiet.

  I heard a heartbeat. I let out the breath I was holding and relaxed. I looked around and grabbed the horse, tying her up again.

  By the water, Daryl's crossbow caught my eye. I went over and picked it up, shaking off the water and looked for the arrows, which were over near him. I looked closer at his stomach and scooted closer to him. His sleeves were ripped off and wrapped around his torso and tied around the arrow.

The arrow looked like it hadn't punctured any major organs, it was about an inch from his side.

His eyes were opening and closing and he kept muttering things.

  I wanted to examine it a bit better, but I accidentally touched the arrow.

His eyes snapped open and I jumped back. He tried to sit up, but was stopped by his wound.

  He shot up quickly, grabbing his crossbow that was now next to him, and pushing me out of the way. I landed on my side and he held his bow up, quickly and painfully pulling the arrow out of his side and shooting it into a walker that was behind me. The walker fell face first on the ground and Daryl dropped the cross bow, sighing and leaning his head back.