Secrets

Lori and I were out helping prepare food, putting water in a pot over a fire, when Glenn walked up with a bucket of peaches.

"What did Rick say?" He asked, acknowledging I was there, but keeping himself reserved. Lori's eyes widened and she looked to me and then to Rick. She was obviously uncomfortable.

"Wait you haven't told him?" I asked quietly. She kept working on the fire.

"You know too?" He asked me. I nodded.

"Okay, but you have to." He said, adjusting the strap around his shoulder. He moved closer. "You're pregnant." He whispered.

Lori froze, looking around to make sure no one was around.

"You need vitamins, medicine, a nice pillow." He paused for a second. I looked at her in agreement with Glenn. "Here," he bent down and grabbed his jerky,"have my share." She looked at him like he was insane.

"I don't want your food honey, eat." She pushed it away.

"You need to eat. You're too skinny. If you're not going to let Rick take care of you, then someone has to." He looked back at Rick. She didn't pause what she was doing. I got up and ran to my bag, grabbing it and bringing it to Lori.

I got back just as he was walking away to Rick.

I opened the big pocket and took out a few granola bars and some chips. I closed my bag and stood up, holding them out to her.

"He's right, you need to eat." I said, trying to get her to take them.

"I don't want you're food, sweetheart." She pushed it away.

"But you need it." I pressed. She shook her head and I set them down next to her, walking away.

I walked over to Daryl's tent. As I walked past the clear part, I noticed that he was poking his arrow into the side of the tent.

"Hey." I walked in, sitting down.

"Hey." He said, putting the arrow down.

I noticed that there was a book next to him and picked it up.

"Missing man?" I asked, reading the cover.

"It's not mine, Andrea lent it to me." He said. I nodded and put it down next to him.
"So," I paused, shifting in my position. "Right after you were shot, you said, 'I was kidding'. Why?" I asked, careful around the subject.

"Your brother had gun to my head again, I told him to pull the trigger." He shrugged. I put my head down and laughed.

"Andrea feels terrible." I said quietly. He looked out the clear side of the tent and nodded.

"I forgave her, she was protecting the group." He said, looking back to me.

"How's your stomach." I asked, looking at his torso. He had on a button up with no sleeves and it wasn't even buttoned up.

"I'll live." He shrugged again. I nodded and smiled. I looked out of the tent to see Lori angrily walking towards Rick, Shane and Dale. I am excused myself and walked over to them.

"How did this happen?" Lori asked, shoving a gun into her back pocket. Carl sat on a bench behind her.

"What happened?" I asked.

"He had a gun." Lori said lowly, referring to Carl.

  "Well it's my fault. I let him into the RV. He said he wanted a walkie. That you sent him for one." Dale said, pointing at Rick.

  "So on top of everything else, he lied." Lori said, disappointed. I saw Carl behind Lori, hanging his head down. "What's he thinking?" Lori whispered to Rick.

  "He wants to learn how to shoot. He asked me to teach him. Now it's none of my business, but I'm happy to do it." Shane chimed in. "It's your call."

  Rick considered it and Lori shook her head.

  "I'm not comfortable." Lori said. Rick stayed quiet. "Come on, don't make me out to the unreasonable one here. Rick?" She looked at him. Shane sighed.

  "I know, I have my concerns too, but-" Rick finally spoke up.

  "There no but. He just got shot! He's just back on his feet and he wants a gun?" Lori said lowly.

  "It's better than him being afraid of em." Rick looked back at Carl, then to Lori.

  "I don't want my child walking around with a gun. Everything you're saying makes perfect sense, but it feels wrong." She argued.

  "He's growing up, thank God, I think it's time we start treating him like an adult." Rick said.

  "Then he needs to act like one. He's not mature enough to handle a gun." Carl shook his head and got up, walking over to us.

  "I'm not going to play with it mom. It's not a toy. I'm sorry I disappointed you, but I want to look for Sophia. And I want to defend our camp. I can't do that without a gun." He had a point.

  "Shane is the best instructor I know. I've seen him teach kids younger than Carl." Rick said. Lori stayed quiet, looking at Rick, thinking about it. She walked over to Carl.

  "You will take this seriously. You will behave responsibly and if I hear from anyone at this camp that you are not living up to our expectations-" Rick interrupted her.

  "He won't let you down." Rick said, raising his eyebrows.

  "Yeah." Carl nodded. Lori walked away. Rick took Carl and they started to walk away, Rick telling Carl what's going to happen. As Carl walked past me I held my hand out discreetly and he high fived me. I smiled to myself and went to grab my bag, taking my book out and sitting down.

***
Short, I know
-kenzo