Humanity

Melody

  After the camp was overrun, we spent all night and into the day sorting the bodies and making sure no one turned. Andrea hadn't moved from that spot. She just sat over Amy, quiet. A few people had tried to talk to her. Lori, Rick, and Dale had gone to make an attempt at getting her to let Amy go.

  I watched her pull out pink tissue paper and open it up. A gold necklace with a charm that looked like a mermaid hung from her fingers. It must have been her birthday, I had heard her talking about it coming up. She put it around Amy's neck and Dale got up and walked away.

  "We don't burn them!" I heard Glenn shout at Daryl and Morales, who were dragging a body of the group towards the burn pile. I stood up and began to make my way over to those who had been bit.

"Our people go in that line over there.." Glenn trailed off, tears pooling in his eyes as he pointed to the line of people I stood behind.

Daryl and Morales started to drag it towards me and then Daryl opted on aiding me in stabbing the line of bodies in the head. I sighed and took out my knife, kneeling down to begin working.

I knelt down next to Carol's husband, but before I could get him she walked up and stopped me.

"I should do it. He's my husband." Carol said, tears welling up in her eyes. Daryl handed her the pickaxe he was using and her shoulders dropped at the sudden weight added. She hesitantly raised the pickaxe and drove it into Ed's head. Then again and again until his barely recognizable face became even more unrecognizable. With each drive her sobs became louder and her swings became sloppier until Daryl gently took the pickaxe away and I led her away from Ed. She walked ahead of me to the Rv and I decided that I'd had enough of the dead people who I had just spoken to the day before. I wanted to return to my tent so I could change and tie my hair back, so I changed my direction, passing Taylor on the way who was being fed some frog legs.

Once I got to my tent I sat down and hung my head in my hands. I heard footsteps approach and I sat up. A shadow passed my tent and I tensed as it passed. I took it as a reminder not to stay in my tent while everyone else helped and I grabbed a hair tie and my knife, getting up. As I exited, I spotted Rick walking away.
I lowered our the knife in my belt and jogged to catch up with him.

"Hey." I stopped him and he turned around.

"Hey." Exhaustion pulled at his features.

"Rick.. you need rest. You've been up and moving for way too long." I sighed, leaning into my hip.

"Aren't I supposed to be the one looking out for you?" He chuckled lightly and I smiled. I was lucky to have my brother with me in all of the chaos.

  "Can it not go both ways?" I asked and he smiled, nodding.

I took in a breath to say something but was cut off when we heard shouting. We ran into the main area to the rest of the group.

"Jim's bit!" Jacque shouted. Jim just kept repeating that he was okay.

"Show us." Daryl said. Glenn held Jim back while Daryl lifted his shirt revealing a bite right below his ribcage. I gasped, taking a step back. He looked miserable. He kept whispering, I'm okay, I'm okay.