Supermarket

I walked outside, seeing everyone eating deer meat under the pavilion. It had been months since we had last seen the governor and brought his people back, so the prison was packed. We take in people all the time, whoever we could find and Daryl and I are the ones that have brought back the most recent newcomers. 

  I followed Daryl outside and stared admiringly at the people who greeted him as he walked past. The pavilion was where the bleachers once sat and there were about 6 tables under it, and another table where we kept the food that we handed out.

  In the field were a garden and a pig pen. Rick, Carl and Hershel were out there a lot tending to it.

  I sped up a bit and walked next to Daryl as he greeted a doctor and a few others.

  "Just for the record, I liked you first." I laughed. He nudged me and shook his head.

  "Stop." He said, popping a piece of meat in his mouth and glancing down, then smiling.

  "You know, Rick brought in a lot of them too." He motioned around. He leaned against the table that Carol was sitting at and she looked up from cutting meat.

  "Not recently." She said. "Giving people sanctuary, keeping people fed, you're going to have to learn to live with the love." She said. I gave him a look that said 'she's right' and he shook his head.  "I need you to see something, Patrick can you take over?"

"Mr. Dixon.. I just wanted to say thank you for bringing in that deer yesterday. It was a nice treat and I would just like to know if I could have the honor of shaking your hand." Patrick said and I chuckled as Daryl licked each finger before over dramatically shaking Patrick's hand. Carol handed the knife to Patrick who gladly accepted it. I smiled and walked away, letting the two talk.

  I walked towards a table that only John sat at and I sat across from him.

  "Hey." I said, causing him to jump a bit, due to his nose being burried in a book. He had a bit of stubble with gorgeous hazel eyes, and he was also quite the bookworm. He looked up, making sure his place was kept.

  "I was thinking of going out with you guys today." I said. His eyes widened.

  "No, it's too dangerous and something could happen. Too risky, it's not like this out there-" he gestured around and I stopped him.

  "Do you think I've always relied on these people? I've been on my own before and I think of myself as an amazing survivalist, probably better than you, because you've always relied on walls. I haven't been out there in over two weeks and I need to go out there again so I don't forget." My eyebrows furrowed together and I got a bit offended.

  He looked confused. "But you said that you've been with them from the start?"

  "About two weeks in and I've still been on my own. On runs, just to go out, looking for people. We didn't even find this place until about 9 months in- let alone turn it into a safe place. This ain't my first rodeo." He nodded and I got up and went into the cellblock. I got my bag that Elise had given me so long ago and slung it over my back. It was pretty light, so I knew I could fill it a lot. I got up and examined my cell. It was different from the one I had originally had. It was on the end and it was one of the slightly bigger ones. I had a twin sized bed in there and I still had room to move around and fit a chair and a desk in there as well.

  I left the cell, partially closing the cell door behind me. I walked down the steps and out of the cellblock, then made my way to the cars that were getting ready to leave. Daryl saw me and looked curious as to why I was tagging along and I smiled.