I'll Be Watching You

That night, I can't sleep. Nothing I try works.

I roll over onto my side and sigh. Then, five seconds later, roll over again.

SHUT UP MIND!

Nah, my brain seems to be in the mood for messing up my sleep time.

I sigh once more and get up, walking downstairs to the kitchen for a drink of water. Grabbing a cup, I hold it under the built-in water dispenser on the fridge door. When it's finished filling, I sit at the table and start to daydream. I never remember my daydreams so don't ask.

Suddenly, I hear a voice coming from the living room. Definitely male. I grab my cup, suddenly slightly tired but I push forward anyway.

I come to stand outside the door to the living room quietly, just in case it's a burglar or something.

Then the voice says "No, don't worry, she doesn't know." ... It's... it's Dylan. "Are you sure? She could have already finished breaking out, Dylan. She's already in trouble, you know." A new voice says. Why does Dylan have a visitor at, I check my phone for the time, 1:49 in the morning?

"I'm... mostly sure. And we've got it sorted. She doesn't know yet, and we'll come up with a plan to get ULTRA off her tail... maybe Steven can...?" Dylan replies, he's obviously aggravated. Mystery-Kid sighs. "Okay. Yes. I'll ask him. Now get back to bed. Big day tomorrow." Mystery-Kid says. Then, there's this whooshing sound like... I can't explain it... like I'd think a vortex or something would make.

I hear footsteps coming toward the door and so... I bolt. I'm in bed before you could say 'Speedy' I'm breathing heavily from my run and I barely have enough time to realize that someone is approaching my room and settle myself to pretend to be asleep.

5 seconds later, someone opens my door and approaches me. "Lyric... are you awake?" Dylan asks, sitting on my bed. I don't respond. "Good. Look, I love you... not in that way, but like legit sister and brother way. So even though I know you're asleep and probably can't hear me, I want you to know that you can tell me anything... and I mean anything, you have no idea the things I've seen and heard the past 3 months. Crazy. But I promise I'm here for you. Night." And with that he kisses my forehead and exits.

What the heck was that all about?

Okay, then.

I yawn. I wonder- never mind...maybe I am a little tired after all.

I have one more fleeting thought towards the weird conversation that Dylan had had. I wonder who the girl is? I-

Then I fall into deep, dreamless sleep.

______________________________

'Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" I yell, jumping on Dylan to get him up for school. "Nooooo." he moans. "Wake up!" I yell again. "Go away!!!" he groans. "I thought you said you loved me." I say. Oh, crap... didn't mean to say that... the only time he said he loved me was when I was 'asleep'. A look of shock goes over his face and then he hides it. "When did I ever say that?" he asks. "Yesterday at lunch. Remember?" I pretend to just be using it as a way to get him off his big fat butt. Relief shoots over his features, but he covers that too. "No, you liar. Go away." he throws a pillow at me and I duck just in time.

"Missed me!" I yell. "Now get up!"

"Alright, fine. I'm getting up. Go get ready for school." he groans, sitting up. I smile, giggle in victory, ruffle his hair and watch as he rolls his eyes. Then, I bolt out of the room.

I run downstairs to the kitchen and begin eating my omelet. 2 minutes later, a tired looking Dylan troops into the kitchen and grabs a glass of OJ. "Good morning, lazy butt." I smile. He just grunts. "Why are you so tired?" I ask, pretending to be curious. I already know why he's tired. "I didn't sleep well." he mutters. Liar.

I'm about to say something when a guy comes in. "Hey, buddy! How was your talk with... ooh... who's this pretty lady?" an Asian guy walks into the kitchen. "Yo dude. This is Lyric, my sister... shouldn't you be back at the... erm... lounge? It's not safe, dude?" Dylan replies, now fully awake apparently. "Nice to meet you Lyric, I'm Russell." Russell walks over and sits beside me, across from Dylan. "Stay away from this one." Dylan warns me. I nod. Russell just laughs then turns his attention fully to Dylan. "No, they said it was fine. If anything happens I can just..." he breaks off glancing over at me.

Suddenly, I'm very self-conscious and interested at the same time. "Secrets huh?" I ask. They share a meaningful glance. "That's alright. I know when I'm not wanted. But... I'll be watching you." I warn and then, I smile, grab my backpack and skip out.

I make my way to the living room and sit on a couch, checking my phone. 7:09 a.m.

I have 20 minutes to spare so how about I just...

CANDY CRUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I honestly hate this game so much.

So much.

20 minutes later, Dylan walks in casually and says "C'mon. School." I nod, and with that we leave.

To school.

Ew.