This Is The Future

We race down the steps and gaze up at the machine which is absolutely throbbing with energy now. There is a blue static ball surrounding the amplifier piece. The piece that will amplify the energy and stop time for every human, if we don't stop it.

It throbs so big, it makes it's way through us and towards the door.

"Hold it right there!" A voice yells from the doorway. We turn to see a human man with a gun hop through the doorway and through the energy field. The moment he passes through the energy field, he is frozen, mid-air, gun extended towards us.

I turn back toward the machine. It sets off another energy field, extending past us and further out the door.

It gets way bigger this time, probably making it outside the building. We don't have much time.

Steven runs to the other side of the machine. He looks up at it, then at me. I nod. He looks down, then extends a hand up at it. Trying as hard as he can to suck the energy out. "I'm not strong enough." He says after a few seconds, letting go. "You have to try." I prod. He looks at me. "Do it with me." He says. "I can't..." I say. "Come on. Stand on that side and help me. My dad said we could finish this together. So we have to try." he says. I look him in the eyes and nod. "Okay."

I build up as much strength as possible and hold out my hand, trying to draw out the power. He does the same thing. My strength is drained quickly and I almost give up, but I keep going.

The rings around the machine begin to spin, in the opposite way it's supposed to. It's working.

"Enough of this nonsense." The Founders voice echoes around the room. He is standing at the doorway. He holds out a hand, sending a jolt that sends Steven sprawling backwards. I still hold my position, but now it's much harder. Soon though, I'm the one sprawled across the ground farther away from the machine.

I cringe, my arm twisting behind me.

The Founder walks farther into the room, and sends me sprawling across the floor beside Steven so that he can approach us both. I stops in front of us. "It cannot be stopped, any more than evolution can be stopped. Don't you understand that human extinction is inevitable. But rather than thousands of years of slow decay will all be over in the blink of an eye." He snaps his fingers on the word 'over'.

Steven sits up and glares at him.

"That is so selfish." I scowl. He's so disgusting. He looks at me. "What could be more humane than that?" he asks. With that, he sends a jolt towards the frozen man. The man immediately is turned to grey shards. 'No!" I scream. He looks at me. "He had a family! A life! And you just tore that away from him without blinking an eye! You're a monster!" I yell. He kneels down to my level. "At least I don't spend time wandering through people's brains." He says, then stands back up.

"You killed him." Steven whispers. "He was never alive. I'm offering you your rightful place as the planets' apex species." The Founder says.

It's no use, I can see the anger already built up in Steven. And I don't stop him. "You killed my father." He shouts. With that he springs up, about to charge at The Founder when the founder TK's him. Somehow, though, he catches it, holding back the jolt.

Sparks fly from the machine and surprise comes over The Founder. He glances at me. "You can save yourself, but can you save your girlfriend?" He sends a jolt toward me, but I follow Stevens example, catching it and pushing back on it.

Man this is harder than it looks.

The Founder then grabs ups both and holds us midair, us struggling against it. I try with all my might. He's too strong.