My Turn

"The Founder is going to put every goon he has on the machine." Russell starts. "Yea... no surprise we'll attack..." I say. "Yea. But he's expecting us to teleport in. Stealth mode, right?" Russell points out. "So if we aren't sneaking in..." John drifts off. "We're storming the castle." Russell finishes with a smile. "Head on. Full frontal assault." He says. "We draw the Founders agents outside ULTRA." Cara says thoughtfully. "Distracting them." I say. "While someone sneaks into the machine room." Russell finishes.

"Who destroys it?" Steven asks. "You." John answers. "You had your shot. My turn now." Steven says. I like seeing the hope back in his eyes.

"Okay... practical question. If we're gonna attack an office building in broad daylight, don't you think someone's going to notice? Like cops?" Astrid asks. "The cops will also be dead in 2 hours." Steven points out. "Yea. Along with me, and John, and every human being that gets caught in the blast." Astrid says.

"I won't let that happen." I say. "Neither will I." John says. "Neither will I." Cara says. "Okay. Who's up for some saving the world?" Steven asks, eyeing us all.

___________________________________________

"Looks like ULTRA cordoned off the whole street to keep people away from the machine." Steven says. We're walking down the street. We stop. "No matter what happens..." Cara says. "Stay put until you draw the fire." Steven says. "Right." Cara replies.

We all exchange looks.

"Good luck." Cara says. They hug. Russell turns to us. "Peace out, homies." he says. I smile and hug him. Then they're off.

Steven turns to me and we both sigh. "Here we go." I say. He nods.

We stay hidden behind the pillars, watching Russell and Cara approach the building, but no one's around.

Where are they?

Suddenly, they teleport in. About 30 men in uniform, with revolvers at their sides, in perfect formation.

I take in a breath, and Steven gives me a reassuring look. I nod.

I watch as they stand across from one another, two tomorrow people against 30 of The Founders pets. The middle guy nods and the outer most 10 on either side disappear and reappear closer to Cara and Russell, guns at the ready. "Fire!" The middle man says, obviously the commander. The men begin to fire, fast and non-stopping. Russell and Cara hold up a wall of telekinesis to hold the bullets back.

In seconds, hundreds of bullets are hanging mid-air.

Cara is losing it, so she does what she can. She drops the wall and pushes all the bullets back in the direction they came from. Most of the men fall over, a few grunting.

The ones that remain standing are soon taken on by Cara and Russell who are fighting their way through the crowd.

The commander teleports over to Cara, grabbing her arm mid-punch and saying "I don't think so." Then holding her in a choke-hold. I want to run to her, but Steven and I need to stay here. I watch Steven hesitate and almost run too.

One by one, the men are slowly picked off by bullets.

I look up.

Opposite of ULTRA, Astrid and John are on top of a building, firing at the men. Quickly, they're picking them off.

Cara escapes the commanders choke hold, flips out and lands on one knee, TK'ing him farther away. He lands hard, and I realise she only escaped because John shot him.

Then, Cara and Russell begin to storm towards the building.

We wait for a few minutes. We need to. We need Caras signal.

Now. Her voice spreads through my brain, making adrenaline spread through my body. Steven and I look at each other. He nods. I nod too.

With that, we teleport into the Machine room.