Chapter 44- Chasiti and Caci

Chasiti's POV

     It was one of those rare days where everyone in the apartment was out except for me and Caci. Caci was probably thankful that they were somewhere else instead of hovering over her. I've been trying my hardest not to hover, but it's so hard knowing that I could have actually lost her. I'm not risking it again.

     I came down the stairs and found her flipping through a book, jotting down something in a notebook as she read.

     "What are you looking at?" I asked as I sat down next to her.

     She smiled at my presence, probably thankful not to be alone with just her thoughts, and put her pencil down. "I'm going back through this." She said as she handed me an old frayed book that I had completely forgotten about.

     I held a finger in to stay on the right page as I gently closed it to look at the cover. The Necronomicon. We'd taken this from Kenny's house months back. Originally, we went through the entire book from cover to cover twice, not finding anything useful either time. Things took off with the band, and none of us had found the time to go back to it.

    "Is there a reason you're looking through this again?" I asked, handing it back to her.

    "I just feel like we're missing something." She picked up a thick piece of paper and handed it to me. "Read it."

    I flipped it over. Neat calligraphy was written across it. Your accident was far from an accident. I would know. In fact, I'm the one who caused it. - T

     "Who the heck is T?"

    "I have no idea." She replied with a sigh. "I have no idea what any of this means either. Stan got a note that said we have three weeks, but we're leaving next week. Nothing makes any sense."

    "Wait. Stan got a note too?" I asked.

    "Yeah, did he not tell you?"

    "No, he said he had a football banquet to go to for new players for next year," I answered.

    "He was probably going to tell you after that." She said.

    "I'll deal with him later. Have you found anything you think we missed the first time?"

     "See that's the thing." She set the notebook she was using in my lap. All the way down the paper, there were small notes about each of the Old Ones. Certain names were crossed out and others had an asterisk by them. "I don't think we're missing anything."

     "What do you mean?"

     "None of these guys have any connection to anything that's happened recently."

    "I'm still confused," I exclaimed.

    She sighed, "I think we need to rethink things." She looked me straight in the eyes. "I don't think Cthulhu or his buddies have anything to do with this. I've sat here and reread the entire  Necronomicon, and there aren't any connections. I think somebody else is behind this."

    "Like who?"

    "My best guess is the same guy I smacked in the face with a door at Homecoming: Damien."

     "Why would Damien want to cause any of the stuff that's happened?" I asked.

    "See, that's the thing. I have no idea." She replied.

    "Well... maybe we can talk about it later with everyone else. We need to go and get some food for tonight."

     "Okay." She sighed. "You can drive."