Chapter 18

Rory picked up her phone and sent a text as she entered her hotel room and dropped her luggage on the floor.

I'm checked in at the hotel.  Hope you're having a great day.  xo

The campaign bus had moved from Des Moines to Charlotte, and after a short stop in Atlanta they were in Miami.  It was the October 1st, and Rory was desperately looking forward to taking the next week off.  Finn and her Mom had talked her into taking leave the week of her birthday to come home, and she couldn't be any happier about it.  She missed home desperately. 

True to his word, Finn had come to visit her the weekend she was in Charlotte as well, and they had enjoyed a laidback weekend of relaxation and just being close to each other, scarcely leaving the hotel room.  She missed him during that week; due to Logan's antics they had spent almost the entire two previous weeks together, and she found herself acutely aware of how different things were without him around.  She missed waking up next to him and going to sleep next to him, she missed talking about their days over dinner, and she missed having him physically close to her.  In a matter of two weeks, he had become a fixture in her life.  There hadn't been a pro/con list or a lengthy decision making process.  She hadn't waffled between her choices.  She'd just taken the chance and followed her heart, and for once it was working out better than she could have dreamed.  She was snapped out of her thoughts by the ringing of her phone.

"Hey there, gorgeous," Rory answered her phone with a huge smile.

"I like that greeting, kitten.  How are you this morning?" Finn answered.

"Not as good as when I wake up next to you," Rory purred.

"I do miss that terribly.  Life just isn't the same when you don't wake up with your beautiful girlfriend in your arms.  I'm looking forward to getting next week together.  Are you all set to leave on Friday?"

"I am.  I just have today and tomorrow to get through and then I'll be headed your way for 11 glorious days without work."

"Whatever will you do to occupy your time, love?" Finn teased.

"Hmm...I think you might be able to help me with that, Mr. Morgan.  Speaking of which, are you still going to be able to be there the whole week?"

"I wouldn't dream of being anywhere else, Ror.  I'll be there the entire time that you're off.  Your mom let me know that she booked us a room at the Dragonfly; she thought we might be more comfortable there than in your old room."

"Just how much have you been talking to my Mom, Finn?  I'm not sure that I like you being in cahoots with her."

"Enough that you should be scared," Finn chuckled.  "Seriously, though, it's your 25th birthday.  We both know that you'll have to endure the society party from the Gilmores and Francine; we just want to make sure you get to let loose and enjoy yourself with a celebration that's more you."

"Thank you; you're amazing.  And thank you for enduring the society birthday party gala with me, too.  I know that it's going to be crazy, and I'm so not looking forward to being the center of attention with the announcements, but having you there by my side will make it bearable."

"It's my pleasure, love.  Now, onto much more important topics.  How long until you have to be ready to go?"

"We have a late start today, so I've got a couple of hours.  Why?"

"Perfect!  Tell me, what is my gorgeous girlfriend wearing right now?"

"Finn!"

"Because I slept in the buff and haven't gotten out of bed yet."