Chapter 25

A/N: Reading you guys' reviews and comments totally makes my week!  Thank you so much for reading what I write and giving me feedback.  I'd love to hear any ideas you all have for this story or any suggestions for future stories as well.  You guys rock!

Rory and Finn had purposely made no plans for Saturday.  They were both looking forward to sleeping in and spending a quiet day together before she had to return to the campaign trail on Sunday.  Unfortunately, their plans didn't stand a chance against the craziness that was lurking in wait on that fall Saturday.

Rory's ringing phone woke the pair shortly after 8:00 in the morning.  She felt around the nightstand with her eyes still closed and looked at the caller ID.  It was an unknown number, and she promptly ignored it.  Not even five minutes later her phone rang again, this time her mom.

"Mom, it's early," Rory groaned.

"I know, sweets.  I'm so sorry to wake you, but it's important.  The press is all over the Hollow.  Pictures of you and Finn are in every newspaper in the area along with the story about your newly-minted status.  You guys are going to want to keep a low profile, okay?"

"Wow, I can't believe it's that newsworthy.  Okay, we'll hole up in the room for the day.  I'm going to try to get some more sleep, but I'll talk to you later, Mom.  I love you," Rory replied.

"Love you, too, kiddo.  I'll see you before you leave."

Rory hung up and rolled back over into Finn's waiting arms.

"Everything okay, kitten?" Finn asked.

"Yeah, everything's fine.  Apparently the press is camped out all over town because of the announcements made last night," Rory complained.

"I'm so sorry, Ror.  We'll enjoy a quiet day in, okay?"

"That sounds wonderful," Rory murmured as she closed her eyes with every intention of drifting off to sleep again.  Once again, it wasn't in the cards.  Her phone rang again minutes later.

"It's my boss," Rory mused as she looked at the caller ID.

"Good morning, Hugo," Rory answered.

"Good morning, Rory.  It appears that you've made quite the splash in the press this morning," Hugo chuckled.

"Yes, my mom just called to let me know that the press are staked out all over town.  You'd think there was nothing more important going on in the world," Rory deadpanned.

"Not all journalists can have as high of ambitions as you do," Hugo chuckled again.  "Listen, I really hate to do this for many reasons, but I don't really have a choice.  You're one hell of a reporter, Gilmore, certainly one of the most promising young talents I've ever had the privilege of having work for me, but with the publicity coming from last night's announcements we will have an incredibly difficult time keeping you safe and away from media scrutiny on the trail, not to mention maintaining security at events with you there as well.  Senator Obama's protective detail feels it's best if you don't return to the campaign trail."

"Wow, I don't even know what to say to that.  I mean, I understand why.  I guess it's just a shock.  I had no idea that this was going to be so huge, Hugo."

"I know you didn't, kid.  We're happy to pay out the remainder of your contract, and I'm more than happy to give you a glowing recommendation," Hugo offered.

"Really, that's not necessary on either count.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you that money isn't an issue, and I actually accepted a job offer earlier this week, so there's no need for a recommendation either.  I do appreciate the offers, though."