Chapter 33

Finn, Rory, Lorelai, Finnegan and Amelia all met for dinner at Carmine's Italian Restaurant on the upper west side.  Apparently Finnegan and Amelia were regulars there, and they were greeted warmly and seated quickly.  Finnegan insisted on ordering a celebratory bottle of wine for the table, and after ordering appetizers and entrees the group settled into easy conversation.

"Lorelai, how are you doing with Rory moving to the City?" Amelia asked.  "I know how much I love having Finn close to us."

"It's better than having her gallivanting around the country on a campaign bus, neglecting her life-giver," Lorelai quipped, causing both Finnegan and Amelia to chuckle. 

"Mom..." Rory warned, knowing exactly where Lorelai was going with this.

"I mean, that's the respect I get from the fruit of my loins," Lorelai went on.

"Mother!" Rory whispered harshly as the Morgans all started laughing heartily.

"Oh, Lorelai.  Your wit is so charming," Finnegan managed to say while he was still laughing.

"And also so embarrassing, apparently," Rory lamented.

"And fits in perfectly in this family," Amelia told Rory.  "Please, relax, dear.  Our family is quite quirky as well, so you and your mom fit in perfectly."

"Amelia's right, hopefully you will be able to meet the rest of the family soon and see just how well you would fit in," Finnegan added.

"Oh, yes!  That reminds me - could we possibly lure you two away to celebrate Thanksgiving with our family?" Amelia asked.

"You...you would want us to spend Thanksgiving with your family?" Rory asked, surprised.

"Well, of course, dear.  You're practically part of the family.  Our family wouldn't be complete without you there," Amelia told her sweetly.

"Wow...I...wow," Rory replied quietly.  "That is so incredibly sweet," Rory told the Morgans, a bit overwhelmed with emotion.  Lorelai noticed the emotion in her daughter's face and jumped in to save her from having to speak while she was on the verge of happy tears.

"I think we could make sure we have time in our day to see you all," Lorelai told them. 

"Oh, wonderful!" Amelia squealed.  "You just let us know what time you can make it up and we'll work our schedule around you."

"Rory, are you excited about your first Christmas season in New York?"  Finnegan asked.  "Amelia always loves New York at Christmas."

"I really am, Finnegan.  I can't wait to see the tree and go skating at Rockefeller Center, and 5th Avenue all decked out for the holidays, and the city covered in snow!" Rory gushed.

"Ah, good things happen when it snows," Lorelai added.

"I've always told Finnegan the same thing!" Amelia chuckled as she playfully nudged him.

Their entrees were delivered, and the easy conversation continued through dinner.  Just before dessert was served, Rory excused herself.

"If you'll excuse me for a moment," she addressed the table.

"Everything okay, kitten?" Finn asked.

"Just going to try to find the restroom," Rory whispered into his ear.

"I'll show you, love," Finn told her.  Rory and Finn walked away from the table, leaving the adults alone.

"We adore Rory, Lorelai," Amelia gushed.  "We think she and Finn are so good together."