Tom: Masquerade

1800s era y'all

"Let's play hide and seek!" You cheered, throwing your little arms up in the air happily. A little seven year old Tom huffed. Remembering his mother's words. "Not everything is about you, let Y/N pick what she wants."

"Okay."

"Yay!" Your eyes squinted as your smile grew. "You'll never find me!" You began to skip away in the tall grass.

"WAIT!" Tom shouted. You skidded to a stop, turning around and tilting your head. "What number should I count to?"

"The highest you can."

"You want me to count to 200 hundred?"

"Oh no! That's to high! I can only count to forty!" Tom giggled you were two years younger than him. He nodded, his curly hair flopping into his eyes.

"Okay," he covered his eyes. "I'll count to forty."

~~

"Mommy?" You skipped into the kitchen, where your mother was. You lifted your arms up and she held you on her hip. She kissed your head.

"Yes, my baby girl?"

"How come Tommy doesn't play with me anymore?" She swallowed, how was she going to explain this to an eight year old.

"He has to go to a very special school." She stated, placing you back in the ground. You pouted, looking up at your mother.

"Why?"

"He's going to be someone very special."

"Why?"

"Because he's smart."

"Oh. Well when can I play with him again?" You asked curiously, you didn't have many close friends due to being so shy around people. And Tom was probably by far your favorite person to play with.

"I don't know baby." She answered seriously. Truth was you'd probably never see him again. She just hoped you'd forget about him.

•~•

The whole village was having a special celebration. Everybody was invited, regardless of social status. The Prince was supposed to be choosing his wife in the next few months, every one was over joyed excited by such news. You didn't care much though.

So what if some man is going to get married and rule our country? You always thought to yourself. For some reason it never dawned on you that it would be a significant change in your life. In everyone's life.

You were in the corner of the room, swaying softly to the soft music. "Anyone catch your fancy?" Harrison nudged Tom with his elbow, leaning against the railing above the lively party. Tom shook his head, running a hand through his hair.

"I don't know what I'm even supposed to be doing." He told his best mate. "All I know is my father is dying, I have three little brothers to care for, and an entire country. Now I'm supposed to choose a wife. I don't even know what I'm supposed to base any of this off of."

"Well," Harrison started, "have you thought about a girl before?"

"Yes."

"What would you like her to be like?"

Tom started listing qualities that appealed to him. He stopped​for a brief moment to think of another. "Maybe someone that laughs at my jokes."

"Keep on dreaming about that one. Your jokes are never funny." Playfully he punched Harrison on the arm, rolling his eyes. Tom went back to observing the party instead of engaging. Finally someone caught his eye. A girl in a white and blue dress with a white lace mask. A small smile stayed on his lips as he watched her.