31. Win Her Back

Kathryn’s POV

I got an A on my Math test today, thank God I did because as far as recitation, tests are a big part of our grade and our teacher is not so easy to please. I made sure I got every question correct, checking and rechecking them until the last minute, I didn’t want to waste any time. And when the papers were back to us, I made a comeback to everyone. I was the only one who got a perfect score, higher than the Math whiz in class. Some say I cheated, but some said I was taught by the boys. I refuse to believe both, and so I walk out of class with a confident grin.

The principal only gave me the punishment of starting a fight with Maxene. I have to help in the cafeteria and I groan when she gave me the heavier task. Maxene complains that her body is still very weak so they let her pass. What a drama queen.

“Tell them the chicken is a bit dry…” She tells me and I am pissed. The way she has her clique with her like wings, laughing at her every not-so-funny joke, just to have backup. I feel very sorry for them honestly.

“Zayn could do better.” She mutters and I swear I grip the ladle the hardest any second it might break. She doesn’t know what’s happening.

I want to try to be normal, like how I was before but some people just couldn’t let the fact that I am associated with One Direction go, I don’t want to be known by only that. I am also Kathryn Clarke, the girl who gets high grades, lost a friend to California, once had a bittersweet boyfriend, and is now in constant physical and emotional pain. That’s me, and I need help.

I hear my phone buzz in my pocket and I dread if it had to be Zayn. But it’s not. It’s Tina, and so I quickly answer.

“Hello?”

“Kath! God, I miss you. I saw you on television this morning,” Of course she had to call me to say that. “I’m famous, aren’t I?” I try to make a joke out of it along with a laugh. Her accent is still the same, I thought it would be the same with the Cali people.

“How are you?” She asks, of course she is giddy, like how I like her.

“Fine,” Is all I could answer.

“Are you okay? You seem tired. Have you not been eating again?” I smile because she can still remember. We are still the same people but we aren’t having connection as much as we used to. And I miss that, I miss living simple, living calm and with Austin and Tina by my side. If only Austin hadn’t drank that night, none of this would be happening right now.

“I’m eating normally, I’m just tired helping in the cafeteria.”

“Why?” Of course she doesn’t know this.

“Long story. Got into a fight with Maxene-“ She cuts me off with a gasp. “What? Max-“ And I cut her off with a laugh. “Let me finish!” If only I could see her do that big gasp again, I would replay that in my head. I know she is going to ask the reason for our fight so I spare her the question.

“It’s because she thought Zayn and I were dating or something like that, I don’t know.” Thanks to her I met those boys though.

“Are you? You’re in the news with him!” Well, I guess I have a lot of explaining to do.

After I have explained everything –and I mean everything-, it was longer than expected and for once, Tina was actually listening, she saved the questions for later.

“Wow, last time I left you, you wanted to share the prize. Look at you now!” I’m sure she is proud but I wish she’s here with me, like physically here, I need her more than just a phone call.

“Kath, get back to work!” I hear one of the people in the cafeteria yelling to me to drop my phone and get back to cleaning the dishes. “Wait!” I’ll have to wrap this up faster.