33.partners

They finally had gotten somewhere with their pursuit, even if it was a situation that was likely to end badly.
Colby, at gunpoint, Sam standing beside him, gun drawn at the suspect who was five paces away.

Backed into an alley where there was no escape, his gun aimed straight at Sam's heart.
Threatening that if they didn't let him go, they'd both die.

Yet no one moved.

It was then Colby made the first move and pulled his trigger, in that one single infinite second of distraction, and landed a bullet in the man's shoulder.
The impact knocked him to the ground, and his gun went off as his wrist smacked against the dirt.

Colby immediately leapt on top of the man so he could wrench the pistol from his hand and place him under arrest for good.
But it wasn't until he'd snapped the handcuffs around the man's wrist with a satisfied smirk that he heard something some distance behind him that made his heart sink into his stomach.

It was Sam, coughing and choking, gloved hands slick with blood as they pressed to his left side.
Sam was standing, barely, body pressed heavily against the brick wall of the alley.

The goddamn bastard had managed to get a shot in after all.
"You motherfucker," Colby hissed down at the suspect, who had blacked out.

Served him right.

Colby gave his shirt a forceful tug before dropping him carelessly on the ground.
He would certainly be dealt with later.
But for the time being he had to focus on his partner.

Colby pulled out his cellphone and called an ambulance for Sam, and for backup to pick up the stupid fucker.
Now all he could do was wait, and hoped Sam would make it.
Colby knew from past experiences that getting shot was a living hell.

He just hoped Sam had enough strength left in him to hang on.
And on top of the circumstances, it was Sam's first time being shot.

That alone was terrifying.

He should have listened to Sam's advice about not leaving their bulletproof vests behind, even if they were in need of repair...

"Sam! Sam-shit..." Colby's hands were immediately at his partner's shoulders as he guided him gently into lying down without trying to cause him too much pain.
Blood poured freely from Sam's left side, soaking through his shirt and pooling down against the gravel, and Colby could do little to stop it.

"Stay with me, Sam. Say something. Don't you dare pass out on me... An ambulance is on the way. You'll be alright."
As he could do little else, Sam coughed and shook his head, a thin trickle of blood trailing from the corner of his lips.

Fuck.

"Lucky shot," Sam hissed through clenched teeth, eyes screwed shut as he struggled to breathe, both hands still clenched to his side.

"Ah-Jesus-it h-hurts..."

"I know. I know it does. Just keep breathing, alright? ...Here, let me see. I'll do what I can to help."

Carefully, Colby eased Sam's hands from their protective position over his side and did his best to stay unnerved at the sight of the wound.
It looked pretty deep, the bullet probably lodged somewhere below his ribs, as there was no hole through Sam's back... from what Colby could tell, the shot had been angled far enough away from his organs that it hadn't done as much damage as it could have.

Thank god.

After he'd set Sam's hands by his sides, Colby slipped his tie out from its place around his neck and wrapped it around his palm a few times, pressing the fabric-wrapped hand against Sam's torso and pressing down hard, trying his best to stop the steady flow of blood from the wound.