41."Helping out" #1

"Erm, Colby?" I muttered, rubbing the back of my neck awkwardly with my free hand and sighing a little to myself at what I was about to ask. It was embarrassing, to say the least, but I guess that's what I deserve. What fully grown man accidentally slips over and breaks his arm and two fingers on the opposite hand? The doctor said that my forearm was broken in at least two places, and I would have had to practically throw myself at the ground to make that much of an impact.

Then again, Colby said it was a pretty impressive fall. I was so glad he was there, and he'd been there for me ever since I'd been incapacitated. Helping me with making food and general around the house things that required the use of two hands.

But now I needed his help for something different, and I wasn't completely sure he'd help. Maybe it would cross a line, or something like that. I mean, I had no qualms about it but you can never be too sure with these things.

"Mmm? Do you need help with something?" he answered me as soon as I had finished speaking, turning around from his laptop and looking me over as if the problem would be apparent. To me it was, at least. But perhaps I was just being a little bit precious. He was so lovely though, ready to help me whenever I needed it. I hoped I would be as nice if something happened to Colby like this.

"Er, yeah, actually. But it's a bit different," I mumbled, walking over to the couch and sitting at the opposite end from him, giving Colby a sheepish smile. I was probably meant to have my sling on, but I couldn't be bothered at the moment. My elbow got all funny from being bent for so long, so I wanted to stretch it out. Obviously I wasn't a doctor and what I was doing was probably hideously bad for my bones, but I had to do it. I couldn't stand having that damned blue cast on, and knowing it would be there for at least the next 3 or 4 weeks was infuriating. It was already such an inconvenience. I couldn't even type properly on my laptop.

"Like what?" he giggled, shutting the lid of his laptop and putting all of his attention on me. Always so attentive.
"Uh, well..." I began, looking out the window so I was less embarrassed, and rolled my tongue around as I tried to work out how to word it. "The problem is, uh, my hair. I can't wash it with my left hand, these get in the way," I explained, then held up my ring finger and my pink finger, which were taped together and put in a little container to hold them straight. At the moment, I really only had three fingers that worked, and they weren't even on the right hand. My right hand fingers were practically engulfed in cast, and it hurt to move them too much. It was the worst.

"Oh," he giggled, holding his hand out for mine lightly, and I placed my fingers on his palm. He looked them over every day, wanting to see how my fingers were doing. He said he was interested in things like that, watching bruises disappear and swelling go down. I had known Colby for long enough to not even question it any more. He was a weird guy, but I loved him anyway. "Yeah, now that you mention it..." he added, looking away from my boxed in fingers then up to my hair, making me scowl and give him a light kick with my foot.
"Hey! Shut up," I insisted, taking my fingers away. If he was going to be rude, he wasn't allowed to have a look.

"I'm only joking," he pouted, grabbing my ankle and moving my foot away from him, most likely so I couldn't kick him again. Probably a wise move. "Yeah, sure, I'll help," he added, nodding a little and then putting his laptop on the coffee table. "How did you... erm, think we'd do it?" he asked, cocking his head to the side as he asked.

I knew what he was thinking. How we were going to do it without me either

a. Being in the shower or
b. Being in the bath

But I'd thought this far ahead. After all, I'd had a lot of free time since I broke myself. I could hardly reply to emails without getting sore fingers or accidentally hitting the wrong keys. My life was just filled with a lot of mindless scrolling down Instagram, a lot of catching up with everyone's videos on YouTube.