Doing the best I can (Morality x Anxiety)

Platonic oneshot but could be taken romantically if you want? Idk

He had gotten frustrated with him again-of course, he always did. He shouted the usual things in his anger, telling Virgil that he was hurting Thomas. That he was a bad guy, that he should just stop.

Usually Virgil could handle Roman's frustrated outbursts, but today he just couldn't. He was already feeling like shit that day anyways, and now Roman was trying to make things even worse on him, and Virgil didn't accept that. He yelled back.

"I'm only trying to do my job!" He defended himself. He didn't want to fight, didn't want to provoke Roman by insulting him. He just wanted them to understand what he was doing. "I'm here to protect Thomas, we all are! That's all I want to do."

His yelling grew more and more quiet with each sentence, until he was whispering. "I'm just doing the best I can, in the only way I know how. Can't you just let me be? Please..." His last word came out so quiet the others barely caught what he said. He felt his eyes begin to fill with tears and, not wanting the others to see him upset, he pulled the hood of his jacket up over his head and sank down without another word.

The others stood in silence for a moment, Roman appearing guilty for snapping at him-he never really intended to, in fact the two had been getting along a lot better recently. He just didn't always-usually-understand him. Patton had a frown on his face, looking from Roman over to where Virgil had just been. He thought for a moment, and decided to follow the other back into the mind.

He appeared once more in Virgil's room, assuming that was where he would be, and found him curled up on his bed, headphones on and tear tracks staining his cheeks. Quickly he rushed over to him, sitting down next to him and putting a hand on his back comfortingly. The darker trait jumped, turning to find Patton sitting there and looking at him in concern.

Taking out his headphones, he sat up to face Patton better and frowned, wiping at his eyes. "Wh-why are you in here?"

"I wanted to make sure you were alright, Virgil!" The father figure explained, his own frown hadn't left him, and he pulled Virgil into a hug. "You looked upset when you sank down. I want you to know that I think you do your job very well, even if sometimes it goes a little too far. Too much from any of us is harmful, so please don't worry."

Virgil tried to hide his appreciative smile, his head resting on Patton's shoulder and arms wrapping around him to return the hug. "Thanks, Pat."

"No problem, kiddo!" Patton smiled finally as his hug was returned. "We all love you, y'know? Roman doesn't really mean the things he says."

"I know, I... love you guys too." He usually hated to admit that, but around Patton Virgil felt like he could talk about anything. He knew he would never be judged by him, knew that he could trust him. "You might not want to stay in here too long, though." He warned, and Patton nodded.

"Yeah, but I want to be sure you're okay. If you ever need anything, you can come get me anytime Virgil!" He said with a smile that the anxious trait couldn't help but return. "Please, remember that."

"I will," Virgil nodded.

Patton grinned, leaning forward to press a kiss to his cheek. "Take care of yourself."

I'm exhausted but I wanted to write this so here lol. I wasn't sure whether I should make this Prinxiety or analogical or go with this one but in the end I just decided that..... I love Patton and Virgil's relationship so much??? Patton is so sweet and assuring and Virgil always jumps to defend him whenever someone says anything to him and I love it so much okay my heart

ALSO I WAS GONNA KEEP THIS REALLY SHORT BUT I FEEL EXCITED SO I GOTTA SHARE

WE ARE PROBABLY GETTING ANOTHER DOGGO SOON AND I AM JUST ECSTATIC
ITS GONNE BE AN IRISH WOLFHOUND AND MY DAD WANTS IT TO BE A HOUSE DOG AND IT'LL SLEEP IN THE BED WITH HIM AND IT'LL BE AMAZING

sorry lmao I'm just excited for that

Also yes this oneshot was inspired by my parents not understanding that I'm doing my best please just chill oh my gosh I'm so stressed out

Like??? I said I would train the doggo since my dad has to work and I like doing it and all she had to say about that was "but you can't even get your schoolwork done"
I dunno what they think I've been doing up here all night but????whatever I'm probably just being stupid getting upset over that. I did mess up and get behind-but I really am doing my best to catch up again. Oh well whatever point is I'm a moron don't get as far behind as me kiddos (there are so many people reading this older than me why did I say that what)

I'm gonna try and sleep now. Thanks for reading this, I hope that you enjoyed it. *giant Irish wolfhound called George brings you a ring pop* Bye-Bob