Part 14

Chapter 14.

  Hiding in the alcove, Adam waited. The noise got closer and closer. His heart was beating quickly. A part of him was excited, the other part was scared. He had never been in an adventure like this before. Nothing this serious anyway. He did go on a school trip the mountains once. He was about twelve years old. He and a friend snuck out to the highest hill they could find. Soon afterwards his friend fell down the hill and broke his arm, and Adam had to help. He hoped he wouldn't get into a similar situation like that today, or any time during his stay here.

  The noise got closer and Adam dived out and was just about to attack when he heard a scream. It was Luna. He stopped and looked at her in confusion. She fell over and began to cry a little.

  "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!" Said Adam as he put his knife away, "What are you doing here?" He asked her, as he helped her up.

  Luna wiped her tears away from her eyes. Her heart was beating quite fast and she hurt her bottom a little bit as well but, other than that, she was fine. She looked up at Adam, "I came to follow you. I want to travel with you!" She replied, with some confidence.

  Adam looked at her, "But this will be dangerous. I don't want you to get hurt. So, please, go back to the others." He told her. He was looking out for her because he knew, without a doubt, it would be dangerous for him. And he didn't want her to get hurt due to his incompetence.

  Luna shook her head and grabbed his hand, "I'll be safe with you. I'm sure!" her confidence was evident. But maybe she was being a bit naïve as well. She had never been as far as the doorway of the beast. So this was brand new territory for her, just as it was for Adam.

  Adam sighed. He knew he would not be able to dissuade her. He told her to stay with him and do what he said. She nodded and they walked on. It seemed calm, but, there was a sense that something was out there. Watching and waiting.

  Adam smiled at Luna and she smiled back. He was trying to reassure her that everything was ok, she was genuinely smiling.

  A few minutes after they came to a hole. It was a dark hole that seemed to lead underground. Adam picked up a small piece of the floor tile and threw it in. It bounced in and then they heard nothing. No sound, no sign of a floor. Adam realised one of two things: Either it landed on a ledge, or that there was no floor. Luna looked at the tunnel and moved forward towards it. She sat in front of it to get a better view.

  Suddenly, two white eyes appeared from inside the tunnel and grabbed Luna by the leg. She screamed as Adam rushed to save her.