Part 48

Chapter 48.

 Adam gripped his knife intensely. He wasn't sure what might be in this room, but he knew one thing. That he had to be careful and prepared for anything. After everything he had seen in these last two days, he half expected a giant snake to attack him. Or something equally as dangerous.

  "Whatever's in here, i'm ready for it." He thought to himself as he walked into the room. It was dark. Pitch black darkness. Nothing was visible, not even his own hands. He stumbled into the room, knife in hand. He wondered if this was some kind of trap. Maybe to lead unsuspecting people to an inescapable hole in the ground, or something similar.

  Suddenly, the lights came on. There were five lightbulb like things on the walls. Seemingly powered by electricity. Adam sighed in relief. For a moment he thought was dead. For now, he wasn't. He looked around carefully, making sure no monsters were in the area. He stopped. In the corner there was a body. He slowly walked towards it, being very careful as he did. He stopped and noticed it's white skin. It was Luna. She was alive.

  "Luna!" He called, "Are you ok?" He asked, as he knelt down to her level.

  Luna slowly looked up and saw Adam. She was in shock, both due to the events earlier and Adam's arrival. She looked at him. Her eyes starting directly at his. It wasn't a bad stare, she just looked at him. Not through him, but at him.

  "Adam, i'm scared! My...friends. They were all..." She stammered, as if trying to understand what she was trying to say. Nothing like this had ever happened to her before, and nothing like it would ever happen again. She ran to him and hugged him. For her safety and his.

  "It's ok. I'm here now. We're going to get out of this alive. I promise" He said to her. He aimed to honour that promise.

 Luna nodded. She felt a small amount of safety. But a large amount of uncertainty. "I hope we do." She whispered.

  Adam picked her up and put her on his back, like an adult puts a child on his back. "Hold on tight. We're leaving this place." He then ran out the room.