2. Her Room

Lily

Its been two stressful week's since my mother's passing at the hospital and a week for her funeral. So many people showed up for her wake I didn't know. It's like, before I was born she was a completely different person. The way people came to show their respect, she was loved by many.

Now, I'm about to go clean out her bedroom. I know it's going to be hard going through her stuff. She was a very private person. Even when I was younger she wouldn't let me look into certain things, especially what was in her closet.
After what she confessed to me at the hospital. I'm not sure I really knew my mother. Only how she wanted me to see her.
Did she think I would be disappointed? Did she not want me to know something? Or was it really to keep me safe? By not knowing about her past. With these thoughts running through my head is maybe the reason I've been holding off into looking in the whole Jack Douglas thing.
Feeling very nervous of what I might find out. I slowly put my trembling hand on the door knob to her room.
Turning the handle letting the door swing open. I got a strong smell of my mother's scent that still lingered in the room, I know I will always miss that.
Looking around, everything seemed to be just the way she liked it. Not even the maids were allowed to clean her room. She always said she liked to clean her own room. Now I know it's because of her secrets. I looked over to her closet door deciding I'd do that last.
After three long hours I finally got all mom's things boxed up. Having most of it going to charity. I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. The closet was the only thing left.
Slowly opening the closet door. I only see her clothes hanging there and some shoes on the floor. Then saw the corner of a shelf in the back of the closet.
Wanting a closer look. I pushed the clothes hanging up aside to see a jewelry box and an old worn out looking box. Taking both boxes off the shelf and out of the closet I sat them on the bed.

I decided to open the worn out box first. So, with shaking fingers I pulled the lid and the first thing I saw were a bunch of pictures. Taking them out to get a better look. The first one on top was a very younger looking version of my mother in biker clothes, sitting on a motorcycle with her arms wrapped around a very buff, muscular dude in a vest with tattoos.
Looking at this picture"Wow!" I wouldn't have never ever... thought in a million years I would see my mom in something like that from all the fancy clothes I had ever seen her wear. This picture makes her look very happy with a kind of light in her auburn eyes.

I wish I could've seen that side of her.

Wiping the tears from my eyes, I took a better look at the man she was beside. Those eyes of his looked just like mine and the cross necklace she had always worn before she gave it to me this past year on my 18th birthday was around his neck.

I wonder if this man is my father?

Turning the picture over. It had Jack + McKayla written. I remember at the hospital my mother said my father didn't know she was wealthy. She must've changed her last name a little so he wouldn't know anything. That could be how she left and he couldn't find her.
Turning the picture back over looking at his face you could tell right away I got my looks from him, except my hair. Wanting to see more. I flipped through the rest to see my mother & father with a few other buffed muscular men and halfway dressed women.

Wow! I think again to my myself surprised. If I didn't see these pictures I would never have believed my mother had a wild biker side.
Feeling the necklace around my neck. I can't believe it actually belonged to my father at one point! No wonder my mother always said it was so special to her.

 I can't believe it actually belonged to my father at one point! No wonder my mother always said it was so special to her

Putting the pictures back in the box. I was about to open the jewelry box when Juliet the housekeeper knocked on the open room door.
"Sorry to bother you, but you have a phone call from your mother's lawyer" she said, politely.
"Thanks Juliet, I'll take the call in the kitchen in a sec. I have something to put away" I tell her, grabbing the boxes.

Walking into the kitchen, I picked up the phone.

"Hello Mr. Lopez, how are you today?" I asked.

"I'm doing very well Ms Douglas, thanks for asking" He replied. "The reason for the call is your mother's Will is ready to be read and I also have some things I'd like to discuss with you if that's alright?" He asked.

" Yeah, sure! How about tomorrow at noon?" I question.

"That's fine, I'll see you tomorrow Ms. Douglas. Have a nice night" He said.

"Thanks, bye!" I said hanging up.

Deciding to eat a little something before heading up to bed for the night. I grabbed a box of chocolate Cocoa Pebbles cereal and milk from the fridge before setting down at the table wondering.

What else would the lawyer like to discuss?

⭐⭐⭐

vote 🌟 & comment 📝 if you like