12. Game

A N T H O N Y

I looked at my watch, waiting for the hour hand to land on eight. I asked Rose to come tonight but from the way she looked, I wasn't sure if she will. I wanted her to, for no reason. I just wanted her to be there. I wanted her to watch me play.

No one knows I asked her to come which is why all my friends were surprised of how silent I was. I was surprised myself. Maybe I hated the thought of her not coming? I don't know why though. Her presence won't add or change anything. I think.

"Okay boys! You're well trained. You will kill it!" The coach said and all the team cheered.

It's almost eight.

"Are you good man?" Cameron asked and I looked at him.

"Yeah, just a little tired." I lied. I was worried and I didn't even understand it myself.

"Tired? No don't joke. We're all putting all our hopes on you." He said.

Yes, I was the best one in the team. Not to be cocky because I hated it. When we lose, it's my fault and when we win, it's the whole team's effort. I rolled my eyes at the thought.

We went out to stretch as the other team did the same at the other side of the field. I looked at the people sitting on the stairs on the side, searching for her.

She's not here. She didn't come and we are about to start. I huffed and stretched along with my team mates. Why do I care? Why am I looking for her?

The match started and I was really paying attention but I decided to take her off my mind as soon as the other team scored.

"What the hell man! The ball just passed you!" Kade yelled.

"Shut up." I mumbled and I doubt he heard it. What is wrong with me? I need to concentrate. This is a really important match for us and we needed to win this.

I slapped my two cheeks softly and decided to concentrate. Can't she come already.

No, it's fine. She's not going to come and I'm going to concentrate without her here and we are going to win and take the — she's here. I saw her walking up the stairs to take a seat and as soon as she sat down, she scanned the field for me. I smiled as soon as our eyes met and she gave me a small wave.

She's here.

And I scored not only one goal but two even before the break. I wanted to do my best to show her what I can do. I wanted to surprise her, to show her that I can be good at everything. I smiled at Kade as he hit my shoulder, look at the stairs then back at me.

"I need an explanation after the match." He said, walking to get water.

"About?" I opened my locker and got my other own bottle, opened it and chugged half of it in two seconds. I was sweating and out of breath. I was the only one playing on the team, I felt like.

"About the mysterious girl on the stairs." He said as I put the empty plastic bottle away from my lips and threw it away.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I said but my grin didn't prove my point and without thinking twice, I caught myself walking out. I walked directly to where she was sitting, talking to a girl. I smiled as soon as she turned to look at me.

"Rose, you made it." I said, planting a little for taking the stairs faster than I should. I looked at the girl next to her, she looked familiar.

"Yeah, I told you I will try." She smiled. She looked beautiful. Her hair was on each side of her shoulders as they shrugged up a little bit. She was cold. Her hands rubbed together, looking for warmness and all I wanted to do was hug her and give it to her. But I didn't.