70. Eyes

Letting myself melt into his arms was a small step back towards the past. It was a small reminder of what it felt like being in his arms, letting his strong cologne fill my nostrils, his breath to blow against my hair as his arms surrounding me firmly, warming me up from the strong chillness of the night.

"I really needed this." He softly said against my hair, holding me tighter. I pulled away, staring up in his eyes.

"Let's just get you home," I told him and he stayed silent.

The same second we turned to walk to Rita's car, we saw his father rushing to us, calling his name.

"Dad?"

He approached and hugged Anthony, asking him how is he. I chose to give them a moment and walked to Rita.

"Who's that?" She asked me.

"Anthony's father," I looked at them. In the background, I saw Clifford getting out of the dark building we stood in its parking lot. I realized that I completely forgot to thank him so I decided to do it now.

"Mister Clifford," I called. He stopped and looked behind at me. "I just wanted to thank you for what you've done to us. Seriously, I don't know what I would have done without you."

"Don't worry about it. You're lucky I have connections," he gave me a small wink. "Just be careful next time, tell that to your boyfriend too." I gulped at the nickname he gave Anthony but I kept reminding myself that I can't deny it after telling it to him on the phone. I just smiled and nodded.

"That's Clifford, dad." Anthony pointed as he approached along with his father.

"Ben, Anthony's father." Anthony's dad introduced himself. They shock hands and then I completely blacked out of their conversation. I could clearly tell how hard it was for Anthony to stand still and not move, dizzy to hold his ground.

"Are you okay?" I whispered, just loud enough to him to hear me.

He nodded then let his body collapse on the random car behind him, waiting for his dad to finish his conversation.

When they finally did, I invited Ben to drive with us in the car because I thought that Anthony was going back home. When we arrived at the car and Rita finally drove away from this cold place, he told her that she doesn't have to drive me to my house because I'll leave with them and that I was going to spend the night with him. He didn't even ask me.

"Who said that?" I asked, very serious and he ignored me. I shook my head. "I want to go home." I added.

"Fine, I'll leave with you." He insisted.

"I didn't invite you."

"I invited myself." He gave me an annoying smile. Even when his actions are nice and amusing, the way he does it messes it all up.

The drive was very silent. Anthony's dad was sitting next to Rita and Anthony and I were on the backseat. I thought that he just chose not to talk to me until we arrive but when I felt his head fall on my shoulder and saw his closed eyes, I knew the reason for this silence. I knew that he was very exhausted, being that drunk and passing by all the disasters he had been through the last few hours. I was well awake that it can destroy a mountain.

I couldn't tear my eyes apart from the innocent side he had, sleeping with no worries. His mouth was slightly opened and a sound of his loud breathing was heard. It created a beautiful song to my ear with a very slow rhythm. I wanted to be happy by his company like I used to but everything that happened built something in me that pushed all the happiness away.

When Rita parked in front of my house, I was unsure if I should wake him up. I knew he will be very tired but I was willing to take good care of him.

"Sir, you don't need me to drive you to Anthony's apartment? I know the way and it's really not away from here." Thankfully, I felt Anthony moving a little when Rita, with her loud tone, started a conversation with Ben that was already outside of the car. I was unsure why but I didn't ask about it. Of course, he was welcomed to stay over.

"No, thank you. I need to walk alone for a bit." He smiled at her.

I took this opportunity to shake him softly and call his name to wake up a little. He hummed and I told him that we arrived.

"Sir, you can come stay over. I really don't mind." I told him.

As we walked away from the car, I slightly turned and waved at Rita. She waved back then drove away.

"No, it's fine. I really need some time alone." He assured me. He helped me take the half-asleep-half-drunk Anthony out of the car. "I'll help you get this creature upstairs then leave."

"Don't worry about it, I can take care of him." I laughed.

"Are you sure?" He let go of Anthony.

"Yeah."

He didn't seem okay with what happened and didn't seem angry either. He looked sad, disappointed of what Anthony did. I was unsure of what part exactly but everything that Anthony did today was unbelievable.

He was mumbling incomprehensible words as we walked to the elevator. He was still half asleep and it was very hard for me to hold him back when he falls back asleep.

"Anthony," I called, shaking him slightly. He opened his eyes abruptly as if someone just shot him in the back. He stared at me for a few seconds, not sure what's happening. He then closed his eyes for a few seconds, rubbing his forehead. "Still drunk?" That was a stupid question that I regretted it as soon as it rolled down my tongue. But he nodded.

I helped him to the couch and he automatically laid down. I knew that he just felt dizzy and in need to lay or even sit down.

"I'll grab you some water." I told him. I walked to the kitchen. I placed my hands on the counter and took a moment for myself. I needed this, I needed this small break where I can concentrate on my breathing and close my eyes, be blind with everything that was happening to me that day.

A few seconds later, I grabbed a glass and filled it, filled a bowl cold water and grabbed a small towel then walked back out. His closed eyes opened widely as soon as he heard me approaching. I bent down next to him, helped him drink the water then wetted the towel and softly cleaned his injured lip and nose, wiping away the blood stains on his skin. I was so concentrated to not forcibly rub it that I missed his eyes that were stared at me with so much happiness. When I realized, his hands were already on mine, stopping my movement, I knew he wanted my eyes to meet his.

When I looked up at him, he stayed silent but his eyes held so many questions in them. I knew what he wanted to ask me but didn't say anything to not ruin the moment. I was unsure of what to tell him. I didn't even know what I wanted myself. Before I could think about anything to break the silence, his lips were pressed on mine.

I was shocked and taken back to say the least. My brain kept coming and going on either I should pull away or kiss back. It was a very hard debate within me between my heart and my brain but I was made my decision.