Autumn 1

"Ma, sabi ko naman sa inyo di ba? Hindi na ako babalik sa Pilipinas. I'm fine here."

"Rachel, please pagbigyan mo na kami ng Papa mo. For the last time, dear."

I am freaking irritated because Mama continuously insisted that I should go back to the Philippines. Reason? For their Apo's birthday. This phone call is already running for 30 minutes

"I can't, Ma." I emotionlessly respond.

"What's the reason? Because of his father?"

He's one of the reason, I can't neglect that. But the other reason is more than the tons of sharp edges of a window glass. I can't bear to see him. The child that causes us to be like this.

"Hello.... Are you still there, Rachel?"

I can't just say a word. I don't want to hurt my parents but I don't want to hurt myself also. Readers, you don't understand what I feel. Nobody can. Nobody will.

"Ma. I'm so sorry, I can't. Hope, this is the last time you'll call me for this matter. Take care of yourself and Papa. And don't ever think that child's sake." I really wanted to add. But I know where this conversation may lead, that's why I stopped my self.

"Miss ka na namin ng Papa mo. It's been 8 years. Walong taon, walong taon ka na namin hindi nakakasama ng Papa mo. Hindi mo ba kami namimiss 'nak?"

Yeah, same old Mama. She always used her ownself just to made me feel guilty for what I am doing here in US. 

"Ma, like the old times. 7 years ago ba yun? Visit me here with Papa, unwind na rin kayo dito. Much better?"

"Nak, may dalawa pang nakakamiss sayo. Si Ri---"

"Ma, please. My head is throbbing. 2 a.m. pa lang dito. Bawal ma-late ang CEO ng Guidotti Imports, right?"

"Sya, sige na 'nak. But for the last time, hindi na namin kayang bumyahe ng malayo ng Papa mo. Hope, you fly here. Even just for us. I love you, 'nak."

Yeah, that was almost 7 years, the last time they visited me. Ba't di ko man lang naisip na they are growing old. And so I am.

"Ma, I love you. I miss you na ni Papa." I started to sobbed. Knowing and just realizing that they are aging. That's too fast. I can't just imagine that I can manage myself without my parents.

Before, just having a thought of being away from them made me feel sick and disabled. But now, I can say, I must say, I can truly stand on my own.

"Are you crying?"

"No, Ma. The wind blew, parang sinisipon ako. Remember, Christmas season is coming?"

"Kaya nga umuwi ka na 'nak? Isipin mo na lang kaya ka uuwi for Christmas."

"Ma, facetime na lang tayo during Christmas Eve."

"Nak, iba yung sama-sama tayo dito. I can hug you wherever I want." My mom chuckled a bit, I heard that.

Oh those laughs. I miss you Mom, I truly did.

"Ma, eat your breakfast there. I hang up this na ha."

After that call, I sighed heavily while sitting on my bed.

Marami akong paper works, sobrang dami. I am a lawyer and at the same time I manage our main company here in US.

My phone rings again.

Oh God, ang kulit ni Mama.

"Hello, Ma. I said, I'll sleep muna di ba? And don't ever brought that topic again." I hanged up without looking at my phone.

I needed sleep. More sleep.

Sometimes, I feel like, I don't want to wake up anymore.

But no, I really wanted to seek for my happiness.

But how can I?

Every glimpse of my sight on the windowpane I just see his image.

The little thing I can't bear. I can't bear to have.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"All rise." The Bailiff said. 

We wait for everyone-except the judge- to stand. I have my new client. 5 hours of sleep isn't enough. I hope, my braincells work properly this morning.

"Department One of the Superior Court is now in session. Judge Edward Clifford presiding. Please be seated." The Bailiff, continues.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of the
People of the United States versus Dale Monfero. Are both sides ready?" Judge Ed, started.

"Ready for the People, Your Honor." The District Attorney said.

"Ready for the defense, Your Honor."
I answered.

"Will the clerk please swear in the jury?" Judge Ed, continues.

"Will the jury please stand and raise your right hand?" The clerk said.

We wait for everyone to stand.

"Do each of you swear that you will fairly try the case before this court, and that you will return a true verdict according to the evidence and the instructions of the court, so help you, God? Please say "I do"." The clerk continually said.

"I do." We said in chorus.

"You may be seated." The clerk commanded.

I am a public defender here in US. My mom don't know it yet, my father did.

My Mama don't want this profession for me. When I was in college, she wanted me to take Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.

So I did. I manage our family company before in Philippines while being a faithful wife to my husband.

But, when the unexpected phenomena happened I decided to migrate here in US wherein our main company was build.

While managing Guidotti Imports, I am also fulfilling my duty and obligations to my pleaded job.

This is my dream before, and I am living it now.

So, I am happy.

I must be happy.

I made my self busy every day. Just to forget what I don't want to remember.

"Your Honor and ladies and gentlemen of the jury: the defendant has been charged with the crime of driving or taking a car belonging to someone else, without the permission of the owner. The evidence will show that a 2004 Corvette was stolen on the night of November 8th. The next day the defendant was arrested driving the stolen car. The defendant's fingerprints were on the keys used to steal the car. The evidence I present will prove to you that the defendant is guilty as charged." Deputy District Attorney Henry Sy, talked to the jury.

I am snap in what Henry said.

"Your Honor and ladies and gentlemen of the jury: under the law my client is presumed innocent until proven guilty. During this trial, you will hear no real evidence against my client. You will come to know the truth: that Dale was just riding in a car stolen by someone else. After finding out that the car was stolen, Dale was just trying to do the right thing by returning the car to its owner. Therefore my client is not guilty." I stated.

After I speak, Henry look at me as if he's not in his sane senses.

When my eyes met his, I suddenly remove my eyes off him.

😍😍😍
December 3, 2018