Chapter 19: Sydney Bound

JFK International Airport was usually busy but today it was completely overwhelming for Rory. Lorelai dropped her off and then went to try and park her car, leaving Rory searching for Finn in a vast sea of travellers. Thankfully, it wasn't long before Rory became aware of that unmistakable Aussie accent calling out, "I'm over here Love!"

Rory could see him hurrying toward her, almost pushing people out of the way to get to her! Throwing down his hand luggage, Finn enveloped her in a huge hug, "Don't worry Kitten, I won't spin you around this time —I learn from my mistakes!"

Rory burst out laughing as she often did when she was around Finn. It removed all of the tension she had felt as she had been approaching the airport. "I'm so glad to see you Finn! I am just so excited about this trip!"

"Me too! Now let me have a look at you.....what can I say....you're more beautiful than ever and there is just something really special about you....are you glowing Miss Gilmore?" Finn asked.

"Hahaha it's just the pregnancy hormones I think but I am feeling much better than when you last saw me." Rory blushed.

"Wait until you have spent a few days at Cronulla in my beach house —you will feel like a new woman! Now let's get your luggage checked in...mine has been done, so I am here at your service," Finn announced, taking all of Rory's bags and heading to the Qantas check in.

Some time later, Lorelai found Rory and Finn sitting in a cafe, laughing and chatting together. It really made her feel happy to know that Rory would be taken care of and also have a good dose of laughter every day. "Hey guys, any room for me? I must have driven around in circles for at least 45 minutes! I need coffee, coffee, coffee!"

"Hi Lorelai! It's a wonder you're not dizzy! Have a seat and I'll go order," Finn offered.

"You're a lifesaver Finn!" Lorelai exclaimed then turning to Rory, she continued, "Kid you are so lucky to have him! He's just what you need to take your mind off everything. I have a feeling that this trip will do more good for you than you could possibly imagine!"

"Yeah I definitely think I made the right decision to come. I will miss you though..." Rory sighed.

"That's nice of you to say Kid but you and I both know that once you step off that plane into Summer, you won't have time to think of your poor, freezing, overworked, mother! Once that sea air is in your lungs, you will feel so different! You might even come back with an Aussie accent and eating Vegemite!"

"Did someone say Vegemite?" Finn asked on his return. "I can't wait to make breakfast for you and spread your toast with that amazing black substance!"

"We will have to see about that Finn.......it will all depend on whether the baby wants it or not! I've heard it's an acquired taste!" Rory said cautiously.

"A bit like me!" Finn laughed just as he noticed it was time for them to be heading off. "We better be heading through now.......time to get our boarding passes!"

"Ok well you two have a wonderful time...message me when you land and take care when you're swimming...watch out for sharks and crocodiles...maybe you better not swim Rory..." Lorelai said suddenly feeling overly protective.

"Mom I will be fine.......don't worry! You just have a beautiful Christmas with Luke. I'll Skype you on Christmas Day," Rory promised, giving Lorelai a final hug.

"Yeah don't worry Lorelai, I want you to know I will take very good care of your girl and her Bub." Finn promised.

As Lorelai watched her daughter disappear through security, she couldn't help feeling that this was going to be a turning point for Rory. It was probably just a mother's intuition but she hoped with all her heart that she was right!