Thirty-eighth Cliché

She was at the park.

Mia was aimlessly pacing in an infinite figure as she waited in front of the park's sign. Mark called her and pulled her in a hug before they began walking around the park.

Just as they did many times before they took their time. It was a time where they could spend together to talk, to spend time with each other. Small talk was exchanged but Mark could tell by the small knitted line on Mia's eyebrows and the sad smile on her lips that there was something wrong. They stopped reaching near the parking lot when Mia locked her legs, forcing Mark to turn back.

"Can we talk?" Her voice soft and barely audible against breeze. "Please..."

"Mia, what's wrong?" Mark didn't like the way she pulled her hand away from him. Her hands were cold. "Mia. If this is about taking a break-"

"Let's stop." Mia could not look him in the eye.

"Mia." It was about that. Mark swallowed cold air. He could feel the unwanted anger rise up in his chest.

"Let's break up." It hurt to even say.

"No." Mark replied, his face hard. Mia couldn't see his face because she couldn't allow herself to look. Because if she looked, she would falter and grow weak. Mark demanded through gritted teeth, "Mia look at me.

"It's over Mark!" Mia screamed as she pushed him away.

Mark wanted to run after her. He wanted to grab her and to have her explain. After all the phone calls and dates in between today and him going to the infirmary, he didn't understand what had gone wrong.

Everything had been smooth.

Everything had been going well.

So why was Mia running away from him?

Mark looked st his hands and feet before moving his eyes again to the figure that got smaller and smaller as she ran.

"Mia..." He whispered out and at the same time there was a throb in his chest that began to grow and grow.

His teeth clenched tightly and he could feel them grind against each other as all he was left with was emptiness, frustration and anger.

He did not understand the sudden change in Mia's attitude to him. It had barely even been a week since Mia's and he had talked about the future. Mia had rather stayed silent about it but she had never said anything that told him other wise.

Mark looked at the darkening sky above him, and then looked at the lonely sun that was being swallowed up by the western horizon. His thoughts were rather blank as he continued to stare at the setting sun with blank eyes that had no light nor energy.

His thoughts took him back to the one way talk he had with Taehyung. He also remembered how Taehyung had sought him out because of Mia. Mark had an inkling that everything led back to Taehyung and that it was because of him that Mia was running away.

How could it not be?

He had been threatened. Mia could have been obviously threatened as well?

But Taehyung didn't know him. Mia didn't know just how much Mark wanted her by his side.

Mark sighed as his brain recalled a phone call from an unknown female. He had ignored it at first but when he had picked up, he had pushed it aside saying he wanted nothing to do with whatever she had to offer, but now, that offer...?

He would take.

➰➰➰

"Hello?" There was a female voice that answered the call. "Who is this?"

"This is Mark." He spoke into his phone. "We spoke before."

"Well, well, well..." The female voice chuckled and Mark could not help the veins that popped from his neck as his patience was running low. He also had low patience, if it was not Mia he had no reason to play nice. "Don't be so angry. I can hear you growl. I'm glad you called Mark. I was waiting for you to call me."

Mark listened to the female as his eyes fell unto his shoes.

"And?" His tone of his voice was not nice. This was something that no one recently or ever had seen from the male.

"Oh, Mark so mean, that's okay but I understand. How can I help you?" She giggled as she questioned the male silently. She had a feeling that something bad had happened.

"That offer you spoke of..." He sighed. "Is it still valid?"

"Of course. Then you are aware of the purpose of the event and those who are involved in it?"

"That's a given."

"Good. Please dress accordingly."

"You don't have to worry about that." Mark bitterly spoke, but that only made the person on the line giggle. "You are ensuring me that she will be there? How can you guarantee it?"

"Yes, I am. Whether or not how I can guarantee is none of your business. She will be there whether or not she wants to. I have a very good source that tells me she'll be there. Besides, what do you have to lose by trusting me?"

"Everything. You may not have anything to lose but I have everything to lose." Mark said lastly bitterly as he hung up the phone, leaving the person at the end of the line quiet but with a single smile.

Things were moving along and none involved knew where it would lead because everything was just beginning. Everything before had been the prologue of a long book.

This was just the beginning for them.