Chapter Forty - Trouble in Paradise

On Thursday Jian Yi asked Zhan Zheng Xi out on a date. Knowing both of their schedules for homework and school activities, they decided that they would meet after cram school, they could grab one or two hours of free time, Yi really wanted to go to the new ramen restaurant by the station, apparently the big salted ramen bowls were pretty special.

Zhan Xi and Jian Yi grabbed their stuff and left the cram school, turning left towards the station. Zhan Xi's brain was oozing out of his ears, why had they agreed to go to such a hard cram school again? Oh yeah because they wanted to do well on the national exam, go to the same university, move in together and have sex morning, noon and night on every available surface. Hmm.

"Xixi? Are you listening to me?" Jian Yi's annoyed tone reached him through his perverted daydreams.

"Hmm?" Zhan Xi stifled a yawn, he looked at his watch and it was 9.10pm.

"I knew you were tuning me out asshole." Yi elbowed him hard. "I said shall we get some dumplings to go with our ramen, I'm starving!" Jian Yi rubbed his stomach through his loosened shirt, the tails were out and he could see a mouth watering patch of taunt abs.

"Hmm...." Zhan Xi's eyes were drawn like a flame. What was he going to do once they'd moved in together? How was he going to get anything done knowing Jian Yi was in the kitchen in nothing but boxers? Wandering around naked as was his want? Showering and waiting for Xi to join him so they could.....ehm. Shit he better stop with that train of thought right now.

"Oi Zhan Zheng Xi! Are you awake, you're mumbling? Did the teachers break you today? So sad, thought you were a top class honours student?." Jian Yi smirked at him.

"Shut it, I'm just hungry, so hungry for......". He trailed off and looked away from the Jian Yi buffet in front of him. Yi had his hair tucked behind his cute ears and his hands were in his trousers pockets he looked like a fucking catwalk model. Zhan Xi always felt a bit second class next to Yi's beauty.

"Okay, Okay, we're nearly there, this place is supposed to be great." Yi arched an eyebrow when Zhan Xixi started staring into space again. What was he thinking about?

Arriving at the shop they quickly nabbed stools at the counter and put in an order for one salted and one miso ramen, a large order of dumplings and some tea. Dumping their bags on the floor, Zhan Xi pulled Yi's stool close to his when a big group of business men walked in and took over the rest of the seats at the counter. Their stools were touching, thighs bumping into each other, Xi's shoulder was again snuggled up to his boyfriend's and when their food arrived they dove into their food, slurping sounds filling the air.

The business men were very loud and Jian Yi and Zhan Xixi could barely talk to each other. Holding up his finger Xi bent down to pick up his school bag, he rummaged around, found a spare note book and a pen. He placed a text book between them and laid the note book on top.

"Here we can use this to talk, pretend we're studying." Zhan Xi grinned at Yi and offered him the pen, as if to say "I dare you!".

Yi wrote first:

Y: THIS ISN'T WHAT I HAD IN MIND FOR A DATE.
X: I don't know, I'm enjoying it I'm here with you.
Y: SMOOTH, I WISH I COULD BE SMOOTH.
X: No you don't, I keep telling you just be you, never change.
Y: THIS IS PRETTY FUN, WRITING HERE WHERE NOONE CAN SEE.
X: Yes, it's private as long as those drunk dudes don't turn around and gawk at it.
Y: HOW ABOUT THIS FOR ROMANCE......YOU CAN HAVE THE LAST DUMPLING.
X: Shit I'm touched... I love the way you suck your noodles up and splash soup on your cheek.
Y: I LOVE THE WAY YOUR NEW HAIR CUT MAKES YOU LOOK EVEN HOTTER.
X: Even hotter?
Y: YEAH, YOU'RE PRETTY FUCKING HOT.
X: Aah you're making me blush.
Y: I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU WERE PERFECT XI.

Xi did blush this time, he was overwhelmed by Jian Yi's single mindedness when it came to him, Yi had always been watching him and wanting him fruitlessly. He had often felt his friend's gaze on him over the years, had looked away from those hot glances, he had even tried to get over his obsession with Yi by turning it towards girls who would easily accept his invitations. He wasn't proud of the decisions he had made and he had needlessly hurt his best friend over and over again. He was far from perfect.

X: I'm not perfect Yi
Y: .........OKAY YOU'RE 97% PERFECT THEN.
X: You idiot Jian Yi, 3% bad?? I am waiting to hear why 3%?
Y: YOU'RE A BIT VIOLENT WHEN YOU ARE PISSED AT ME (1%).
X: Aaanndd?
Y: YOU'RE A HUGE PERVERT (1%)
X: True, and the last one percent?
Y: I STILL DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS ALL A NOVELTY TO YOU. IT'S SO DIFFERENT FOR ME I WAS BORN LIKE THIS, YOU WERE STRAIGHT AND EVEN WHEN YOU ADAMANTLY TELL ME YOU LOVE ME AND MY DICK, I STILL WORRY IN SOME WEIRD DARK PLACE IN MY MIND THAT SOMEONE BETTER THAN ME WILL COME ALONG AND SNATCH YOU AWAY (1%)
X: Why do you always say the most amazing things.

Zhan Zheng Xi got up from his stool, grabbed his bag and walked out.

Jian Yi panicked. Zhan Zheng Xi looked....hurt. No! He didn't mean it like that, what had he written?! Shit he just meant that HE was scared, not that he did not believe Xi was gay! FUCK.