Chapter 14 - Not-a-Kitchen-Tea Party

Chapter 14

The next morning I get a message from Jack. He has managed to get Tina and I off work today. Again, might I add! I should be pissed off with this. He is quite presumptuous. But I don't put up a fight, or question it. I could do with some time off. Especially, since we have the party to attend tonight and I'm quite anxious. I need to mentally prepare myself. I'm planning on having a quiet moment with Jack tonight so that I can tell him I'm not interested in any romantic involvement with him. I need to be firm and

I'm surprised that he's still eager to have me at his party since I did become distant after my realization that I didn't want anything other than friendship with him.

In fact, when it came to us parting ways last night, I had politely refused a 'nightcap' up in his suite and had turned my head slightly when he had bent down to kiss me goodnight. His lips had brushed my cheek and I had quickly pulled away.

I don't want to give him any more signs that could be misconstrued as interest in him. My mind is made up. Nothing more can happen between us.

Tina and I get up late and go shopping around midday. We browse through the shops and take our time trying on different outfits. It's been so long since we've been this relaxed that we are giddy with happiness and find every possible reason to laugh.

Life couldn't be sweeter! ...Well, it could be, but that's simply not in the planets for me and since this is the second best thing there is to pure happiness, I'll gladly take it! Which woman doesn't love shopping?

We go through racks of clothes and finally settle on a grey chiffon, thigh-high, flared dress for Tina. The colour of Tina's dress brings out the blue in her eyes.

I choose a black, figure hugging classic black dress. It has a sweetheart neckline and sits just above my knee. I settle on the black dress because it's something I can see myself wearing again. Besides, it was on sale so buying this one makes me feel better too.

Seeing as we still have plenty of time to kill, we make our way to the salon and get our hair washed and set. With our employee discount the prices aren't bad and it's nice to have someone else wash and comb through my long tresses.

The hairdresser here is quite skilled and gives Tina's short bangs a good teasing so that her hair is a gorgeous mess of blonde highlights and low tones. My hair, she straightens into a cascading, silky pin-straight mass that she gathers and secures into a chignon at the base of my neck. I like it. I look youthful, yet classy.

We go back to our cabin and proceed to shower and dress. I am careful to tuck my newly styled hair into a shower cap that prevents it from going all limp and frizzy.

Our excitement builds as the time approaches for us to make our way to the 7th floor once again. Our chatter becomes more animated and loud and I find myself looking forward to it.

We squeeze into our new purchases and help each other do up buttons and zippers which are out of our reach.

Finally, I pull out the black shoes which I had hastily stuffed into my bag before leaving home. They are the shoes Riaan had bought me on our road trip to Mossel Bay.

As I pull them on a hundred thoughts fill my head, most of them so emotionally charged that I want to rip them off my feet and shove them back into my suitcase.

By right, I should not be using them. I should have had them sent back to him immediately. Packing them had been a last minute decision. I had thought it a good idea to have at least one good pair of heels just in case my holiday job required it.

Besides, I've already used these shoes once before and they cannot possibly be returned now.

I still have every intention of paying for them though, even if it means me giving Riaan every last cent I earned on this holiday.