Chapter 56 - Stay

Song Credit- Suicide Squad/ Harley Quinn, Selena Gomez - 'Love Song'

Mature content - 18+

This chapter dedicated to Trish, a friend of mine who hates romance/erotica but really got into this book...you know who you are! Xxx

Chapter 56

"Floor?"' He asks, pulling me out of my musing.

"Six," I reply quietly.

He punches number six on the elevator pad and the doors shut quietly.

The silence between us is deafening. We are alone in this tiny space and it makes me nervous.

Some cheesy love song filters out from a speaker somewhere. Isn't that just blooming lovely?

Kick me in the ass and mock me in my moment of weakness, why don't you?

I curse the damn universe and all her bitchy ways.

I stand in front of Riaan, my back is to him, and I edge closer to the elevator doors so as to create as much space as is possible between us. Still, I feel the heat coming off his body and I break out into a mild sweat. My palms become clammy and I wipe them on my white tights. I need to get out of these clothes and into a tub of steaming water.

The thing about standing like this with my back to him is that it gives him the opportunity to look at me, like really really look at me, without himself being observed.

And sure enough, I can feel his eyes assess me from behind. It burns holes into me and I suddenly feel like that person in that dream people have where they are completely naked in front of an audience.

What's he thinking? I'd give anything to know right now.

Do I look okay from behind? I mean, can he see my pantyline in these white tights. I did use a nice seamless thong which should not show at all...but still, if he was looking hard enough he could find one. Does my butt look sexy? I've toned a lot since we were last together...my butt cheeks are definitely firmer. Perkier, I think. Is that even a word?...Does Riaan find me attractive still? Or sexy? I never thought of myself as sexy...Cute, maybe...He loved my body back then. He couldn't get enough of it. Does the sight of me make him hard?...Oh. My. God. What the hell's wrong with me? I need to stop right now!

Thankfully, the lift comes to a stop and the doors slide open. I breathe out deeply as I step out. Was I holding my breath?

My head's swimming. Should I still be angry with Riaan? He did give a somewhat valid explanation. I mean, I can understand him wanting to protect those he loves. I'd want to do the same. But to disappear without even a note... Wait, he did leave a note. What would I have done if I were in that situation? I'm not sure...It's a tough call...

As I walk to my room door, with Riaan trailing behind me, I try to come up with some reason to continue hating Riaan.

He disappointed me.

He left without a word.

He was protecting me.

He left a note.

I feel like I have two small versions of me, each one sitting on one of my shoulders. A devil and an angel in a boxing match trying to reason this whole situation out.

I make it to my door and slide my key into the lock. The door clicks open. I walk in and turn around.

"Well, thank you for walking me up."