Chapter 54 - Ten Minutes

Song Credit- Lady Antebellum- 'Need You Now'

Chapter 54

Riaan's POV

And now I'm standing here, outside this car like an idiot begging her to come out and speak to me.

Just speak?

No. I want to wrap her in my arms and ram my tongue down her throat. I want to feel her naked, vanilla-scented body flush against me. Skin on skin. Panting and begging me to fuck her. I want all of her.

Dammit. If she and her date looked hard enough they'd probably see my arousal straining tightly in my pants. It's fucking embarrassing. You'd think I was in high school. My body is not my own in her presence.

Does Maddox crave her the way I do? Does his skin burn and come alive at the thought of her? Does he have sleepless nights thinking of her moaning and climaxing beneath him? Does he have to take cold showers at 2am just to get rid of thoughts of her?

God, does she even know the kind of power she has over me?

I feel foolish. What made me think that she would be happy to see me? From the look on her face she's anything but pleased to see me.

The moment is tense. Nobody moves for what seems like minutes.

Finally, Maddox speaks.

"Look...Layla, I don't want trouble. I really don't want to be caught up in the middle of this. I don't do love triangles and jealous ex's is not my thing. Hell, I don't do relationships at all! This guy looks like he really needs to talk to you. Maybe, you should, yeah? We can do this another time."

So Maddox is a man of reason. I have new respect for him. There's a secret code amongst men not to mess around with another man's woman. A gentleman's code. Not all men abide by this rule these days. And really, what claim do I have over Layla? None whatsoever... Still, I'm glad Maddox is a sensible guy. I regret calling him all of those childish names now.

Layla's head snaps towards Maddox.

Yes, sweetheart, Maddox sees my desperation. Why can't you?

I can barely see the expression on Layla's face in the dim light. But I do catch her disappointment.

Disappointment in Maddox, not me for once. I hate seeing that look on her face. It breaks my heart. It's the same look she gave me each time I let her down or when she doubted what we had. I am a worthless piece of shit for doing that to her.

This is like a catch 22 situation. I want to smash in Maddox's face for putting that disappointed look on her face. But I'm also grateful to him for backing off. He's a decent guy, at least I think he is.

"Maybe, you're right. I...I...The moment is ruined anyway. And yes, I do need to speak to Riaan, I guess. I'll call you."

Her voice is soft and uneven. Is she about to cry? I hope not. I'm not good with tears, especially when it's Layla's.

She reaches for the car door and before she can open it and exit the car, Maddox grasps her shoulder.

My hands fist into balls again and my breathing rises slightly. I don't like him touching her.

The window is still rolled down and they are still having a conversation as if I'm not here right in front of them. If Maddox did not seem like the reasonable person he is, I would have lost it by now.

Nobody treats me this way. Nobody disregards, or ignores me.

It takes everything in me to hold it together.