Chapter Seventeen

•Blade•

•Blade•

Tonight I've played into my brothers taunts.

I've ignored Letha and left her alone amongst the crowd, all because my brothers so kindly reminded me how whipped I've become.

I feel like an idiot.

I know I shouldn't care what they think about my romantic life, but to know they're joking about me around the table and shitting on my sappy side, hurts.

So, when Letha showed up in all her goddess glory, I sent her to mingle... without me, and proceeded to get shit-faced drunk with the guys.

"So next Wednesday, huh?" Ash slurs, while still managing to sound like he's all there and not besotted.

"Everything will be put in place by then for the service." Kai is the only one who has managed to stay sober tonight.

Something about staying on top of things while the club is under attack.

"Anything Hunter or Kara needs, they've got it." I nod along with what Ash is saying.

Bastian - their stillborn son - will have a perfect memorial service.

After a little while of discussing the funeral for the tiny baby, Ash switches up the conversation, completely baffling my mind that is shrouded by the alcohol swirling through my veins.

"Blade. Now that you've got that woman attached to you, you going to be able to keep her safe?"

My brows furrow in anger. Why would he ask that? Does he not think I can provide protection for Letha? Copious amounts of alcohol don't always bring out the best side of me. "And why the fuck wouldn't I be able to keep her safe?" I stare down my president who dared to question whether I could keep Letha out of harms way.

"Lose the fucking attitude, brother, I'm just asking a question. You're the only high-ranking officer with a lady. That makes her an even larger target than the other women."

High-ranking officers consist of Ash, Stone, and myself. With neither of them having Old Ladies, that leaves just me.

And yes, it does put her at a higher risk, but we've been over this.

She is protected with me by her side.

"Having her with me is a new experience, I'll admit, but I've got this, prez. I can handle taking care of my girl."

He simply nods his hands and drains his glass of beer, slamming it on the table.

"Jazmine!" He holds up the empty pitcher of beer from the table and points to it like a jackass.

She rolls her eyes and fills a fresh pitcher, bringing it to the table. "Anything else your lordship?" She bows down with her arms spread out. Sarcasm oozes from her voice and I place my palm over my mouth to stop myself from laughing out loud.