Chapter Forty-Three

•Letha•

•Letha•

It's finally here. The day. The day I'm supposed to meet Dmitri in exchange for Talia's safety. The day I'm supposed to give my life back to the cruel man who stole six years of my youth from me.

Six years spent as a punching bag, a whore, and the scum beneath his polished Italian loafers.

But, in a matter of a few months, I've managed to turn my entire life around. To put the past torture behind me and move on.

I met the people who call me family. The friends that should last a lifetime. A love like no other.

Giving this life up causes my chest to constrict, forcing me into a panic when I picture myself tied up and being fucked by Dmitri, staring into a mirror at the new bruises that are inevitable, and never being able to see Blade again.

I try not to think of it today, but with every passing minute, the fear attacks my mind. Alcohol is numbing, but nothing will take away the thoughts completely.

Yesterday, we all did nothing as we were officially locked down for the first day and night. Callie, Violet, and I all watched old episodes of Grey's Anatomy, Blade having stopped by and watched with us for a little while.

Midway through our marathon, when Denny died, he teared up, tried to hide it, kissed me on the forehead and left the room to join his brothers. Callie giggled after he had left, saying he was always sensitive when they were younger - he even cried watching Free Willy.

I smiled at that, my love growing for that man with every new piece of history about him.

"What are you thinking about?" He asks, as we lay in bed together, completely clothed, facing one another. My hands are clutching the pillow beneath my head, turning my knuckles white from the pressure.

I release my grip and smooth my hands over the wrinkled fabric.

"You know what I'm thinking about."

He lets out a breath, blinking slowly as he brings his right hand to mine and takes it to his mouth, pressing a soft kiss on my palm.

"Tell me anyway."

Tears prickle my eyes. The words get caught in the back of my throat.

"I-I can't stop thinking that I've made the wrong decision."

"Why do you think that?" His voice is calm and smooth.

Mine is not as the tears finally spill forth onto the silky black pillowcase. "H-He's going to k-kill her. He is c-crazy. I've got t-to rescue her." In a fit of panic, I stand from the bed and frantically search for my shoes, perching myself on the sofa and pulling on my boots.

Hands wrap around my waist as I'm pulled into a hard body. Blade's head rests on top of mine as he finds my hands and removes them from my boots, pulling the left shoe off and tossing it back to the floor.