Chapter 44

MacKenzie and I end up sitting in the floor as she cries. I'm just thankful she hasn't...killed herself..The thought of seeing my beautiful girlfriend dead makes me want to cry. I couldn't do it, I'd be the next one to kill myself.

"Niall, I'm so sorry." MacKenzie looks up at me with red puffy eyes.

"Its okay. I forgive you. I'm not mad at you..I'm mad at myself." I say, stroking her hair.

"Wh-why are you mad at yourself?" MacKenzie sniffles a bit before looking at me again.

"Because, I wasn't here for you when you needed me most. I wasn't strong for us both when I should've been. I let you and your brother down. I promised I would always be there for you. I broke that promise, and now you're hurting yourself again." I'm full on crying right now. The tears don't seem to stop.

"Niall, this isn't your fault. Please, don't carry that quilt with you. It's my fault for not being strong for myself. Its my fault for letting it happen. I promise, none of this is your fault. You didn't let me or my brother down." Mac kisses my cheek and I feel her tears slide in-between my cheek and her lips.

I shouldn't be the one getting comfort, she is.

"Mac, I'm so sorry. I love you." I kiss her head and hold her tight.

"I love you too." For a few minutes, we just sit on the floor against one another.

When we feel like everything is okay, we stand up.

"So, how long are you here for this time?" MacKenzie asks sitting on the couch.

"Uhm, I leave tomorrow, actually. I wanted to check in on you, and now I'm glad I did." I say sitting beside her.

"Yeah, I'm glad you did, too. How's your family doing?"

"I don't know, I haven't talked to them since I landed. I'm gonna surprise them too." I run my fingers through her hair, and smile.

"Well, that's good. I talked to your mom before you came. Like, literally, before you came. We hung up as soon as you walked through the door. She said she's doing fine. Her and your dad. Theo's been sick. Greg and Denise have been lovely." She gives me the update on my family.

"Awh, poor Theo. What's wrong with him?"

"I don't know. I didn't ask. They miss you, Niall."

"I miss them, too." Of course I am, they're my family.

"I think you should fly out early to go home. I just don't want them to think I'm keeping you away from them."

"Mac, I'm here for three days and I'm there for two weeks. Yeah, they're totally thinking you're keeping me away from them." I laugh as she lightly smacks my arm.

"You're so mean." She rests her head on my chest and I continue to play with the ends of her hair.

"I love you, Mac. And I mean it."

"I love you, too, Niall. I mean it, too." MacKenzie kisses me. I've been missing her lips too much. I couldn't sleep without thinking of her lips. I couldn't breathe without wanting to kiss her again. I could only dream of kissing them again, and it's not the same.

"I've missed that." I say as we pull apart

"You've missed that? Honey, I'm the one who had to kiss magazines because I missed your lips so bad." MacKenzie chuckles at her statement.

The thought of her actually doing something like that makes me smile wide. I thought she would stop buying magazines when I last left.

"I do love you though." She kisses me again, and I swear in that moment..everything stopped.