Chapter 5: The Meeting

An hour after my phone call I walked slowly along the New Jersey waterfront a mere half hour from my office.
How could I possibly believe this is a good idea?
"Alexia Carter." A deep voice said my name from about 20 feet behind me.
I turn and see dark grey eyes underneath bushy eyebrows. His bronze skin caught the sunlight and his sleek black hair tied back in a ponytail. Tall and broad chested figure gave the slightest hint of his martial arts background.
"Connor Warner." I sighed.
"I was surprised to get your phone call." He said walking up to me.
"I never would have if I didn't actually need the help."
"I've never known you to need help with anything."
"I normally don't."
"Imagine my surprise when that young girl from Detroit is on my television screen being named the Director of the FBI."
"I'm not from Detroit." I answer.
"I'm starting to believe that nothing I know about you is true."
I glanced at him sideways.
"That's probably true."
"You did tell me your name was Juliana Grey when we met. Then you infiltrated my company and destroyed it from the inside."
"Are we still holding grudges Connor? It's been 6 years."
"I was self made, just like you at 20 years old. Now here I am, doing favors for the woman who tore me down."
"My self made and your self made are two entirely different things. I could have had you arrested."
"You did have enough evidence to do that. Why didn't you?"
"I'm not sure. It's paying off now though."
He stepped closer to me, raised his hand to touch my face. I stepped back before he could touch me.
"Answer me this: Was what we had even real?"
"It might have been. At the time. There's nothing there now." I whispered looking down at my engagement ring.
"Ah. I see." He said taking in the Sapphire ring I wear.
"So what is it you need from me that you can't ask the FBI for?"
"My fiance was framed for murder last year. When I was going through the file today I noticed that the security camera footage was never recovered. I need you to find it for me."
"Again why don't you ask your FBI friends?"
"I'm his attorney. I can't use my resources as the FBI  Director to exonerate him."
"Alright, Alexia. What do I get in return?" His voice was soft.
"The price has always been $10,000."
"Hmm... what if I want something different?"
"I'm engaged. I won't do anything to jeopardize my relationship with him."
"Of course not. Just meet me for dinner when I find it. Tell me the truth about you."
"If you find it we'll meet for dinner." I answered.
"I'll see you soon, Alexia."
He turned on his heel and walked away. I sighed and turned to walk the other way.
I drove straight from the waterfront to the prison.
"Do you remember my first undercover mission for the FBI when I was 19?" I asked Jonny when he sat down in front of me.
A new bruise was forming on his face.
"Of course. You got hurt in the shootout with the company's investors."
"Right." I sighed looking into his eyes.
"While I was undercover I had to get close to the owner."
"I remember you telling me that. Lexa. What's going on?"
"I was looking through your file today and I noticed that the traffic camera footage was never recovered. I can't ask the FBI to find it for me. The judge would throw it out in a minute. I called Connor and asked him to find it."
He looked at me, still confused.
"He wants to meet for dinner when he finds it."
"And you agreed to that?"
"I did... Jonny. Look at this through my eyes. Both times I've been to see you, you have new bruises. Every time we talk on the phone I can hear your pain and fear. If this will get you out of here I have to try."
His eyes softened at my words.
"I do trust you Lexa. If this is what you think we need to do, I'm all for it. You're right. I remember seeing you in those hospital beds and not being able to touch you because I wasn't me, I was Cameron. I didn't realize how well you know me."
"We've known each other for 18 years, Jonny. If there's anyone besides Cameron who knows you, it'd be me." I smiled at him.
"I wouldn't be surprised if pictures of our meeting today start circulating by tonight or tomorrow."
"I'll be ready for them."
"Just remember, I'd never do anything to hurt you. I'm yours."
He smiled at me again.
"I know, Lexa. You know Cam's been here to get my help with whatever he's doing?"
"I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me. He values your opinion and knows you have insight that he doesn't. We both do."
"I'd be lost in here without you. I'd never get through this without hearing your voice everyday."
"Of course you would. You're so strong, Jonathan. Hold on to that. I'll do whatever it takes to get you out of here."
He laid his hand on the table and I slid mine into it.
"I have a fundraiser back in DC this weekend so I won't be able to come back until Monday." I said rubbing my thumb along the back of his hand.
"Now, those pictures I'll be looking forward to."
I smiled at him.
"I love you." I whispered to him.
"I love you too. Always."