Chapter 13: Masking

"What are you insinuating, Agent Daniels? That Jonathan was somehow involved in the escape last week?" I asked looking at Agent Kay Daniels as she stood in my office.
"All I'm saying is that it's a possibility."
"I went up there that night. His rib was broken and he was handcuffed to the hospital bed as per protocol."
"And you don't believe he's capable of unlocking those handcuffs?"
"On the contrary, I know for a fact he can. I also know that he could easily escape the prison. He told me he wasn't involved, which I shouldn't even tell you because I'm his attorney. I see no reason for him to lie to me and considering we've known each other for 18 years, have been dating for six and engaged for two I've always known when he's lying to me."
"I just find it strange that in all the times he's been in for dialysis he decided to escape while Jonathan was in the bed next to his."
"Maybe we should be more focused on finding the escaped convict instead of focusing on the one still behind bars? Tell me about this Bishop case. What have we learned?"
"Not much. Cameron and Jonathan are working the case from the deception angle and I'm running down a lead with Mike."
"Well, perhaps you should focus on the active case as opposed to what Jonathan might be doing to survive."
"Yes, Director."
When she walked out I leaned back into my chair. I felt terrible tearing her down like that, especially when she's right but we're the ones that fucked up. The investigation wasn't near as thorough as it should have been and he ended up sentenced to 10 years for a crime he didn't commit. Kay doesn't want to know what he's had to do to survive in the last year and a half.
I realized Jonny let's his guard down when I'm around in a way he doesn't with anyone else, even Cameron. It made me think about the year I spent in Virginia with the FBI. With the people who so easily dismissed him and his account of what happened that night. I got the call from Cameron before the FBI started investigating the case.
"Carter."
"Alexia, something's happened."
"Cameron? What do you mean something's happened? What's wrong?"
"Jonny was in an accident."
"Is he okay? Where are you?"
"We're in New York. Lexi, Jonny's been charged with murder."
"Murder? What are you talking about?"
"There was a woman in the car and she died in the accident, but, Lexi... He says that the woman in the car isn't the woman he was found on the road. He thinks he was set up."
"Cameron. Listen to me, right now. Tell him not to speak to anyone else until I get there. Do not repeat what you told me to anyone until I get there, do you understand?"
"Yeah, Lexi. I understand. What is going on?"
"I don't know Cam. We'll figure it out. I'll be there as soon as I can."
I'd never driven so fast and I'd never disagreed so steadfastly with anyone in the FBI more than I did in this case and not just because it was Jonathan but because it wasn't handled well at all. No one found it odd that there was no driver in the other car. No one investigated Jonny's claims. It wasn't done well at all.
I got a headache just thinking about it.
*Knock Knock*
I opened my eyes to see my future brother in law standing in my doorway his face bruised.
"Dammit, Cameron! What happened?"
I got up from my desk and walked over to him.
"Come sit down. Let's get some ice on that."
He allowed me to pull him to one of the two chairs opposite mine and ease him into it. I grabbed an ice pack out of my mini freezer and wrapped it in a towel before pressing it to his swelling face.
"Tell me what happened." I said gently.
"We figured out when and where the street artist was meeting Bishop so I volunteered to go undercover to try to get close to him. I ran their parkour course but when I was face to face with him he ordered his crew to dispose of me and I kicked their asses." He smiled.
"Ow"
"Smiling hurts." He laughed.
Behind me my phone rang.
"Carter."
"Director Carter. This is Attica Correctional Facility. Jonathan Black was involved in a confrontation today."
I looked up at Cameron.
"You two have got to fucking be kidding me."
Cameron's eyes went wide.
"Excuse me, ma'am?"
"We'll be right there."
"Come on." I told Cameron hanging up the phone.
Half an hour later we walked into Jonathan's work room.
"Are you two fucking kidding me?"
Jonny's eyes went as wide as Cameron's.
"What the hell happened, Jonathan?"
"I was tired of them thinking they could bully me into helping them with their schemes. I got angry and when I stood up he shoved me and I hit him. Ultimately I won."
"You two are going to be the death of me." I sighed.
"Well, now that you're both here..." Cameron said from the side pulling a picture out of his back pocket.
"Everything that's happened lately... The explosion at the fundraiser. Bishop and his crew. Probably even the inmates that are bothering you. I know who's behind it. But this isn't just about us, Jonny. This is about something far greater. She wants something from us and we're the only one's she's targeting. Why?" He said showing us a picture of two eyes of different colors.
Jonny looked at me, broken.
"We'll figure it out. I have an idea. Give me some time."
Jonny reached for my hand and I gave it to him. I touched Cameron's shoulder and he placed his hand on Jonny's.