Chapter 13: Never Stop

Our stay at the hospital lasted about half a week before Dr. Roberts and the trauma surgeon who stepped in during my flatline agreed that I was well enough to go home.
We bought each of the boys a bassinet to keep them in our bedroom with us for the first few months.
For the next six weeks I wouldn't be allowed to drive because of my Cesarean for Logan's birth. I definitely needed the time at home with just our family for Jonathan and I to bond with our twins.
Cameron and Kay came over after work most days to spend time with the boys and Kay would make dinner so i could continue to rest.
Our sons were little angels. Slept well over 16 hours a day, would only wake up twice a night or so to eat.
Every once in a while they would fuss just enough to wake us up because they couldn't hear us and it bothered them.
"It's going to be hard to get them to sleep in the nursery, isn't it?" I asked.
"It definitely will be." He chuckled.
I cuddled up next to his chest. While we listened to our boys sleep.
"I had no idea I could be more tired than I was while I was pregnant." I sighed.
He laughed.
"You had a major surgery two weeks ago. It's not surprising that you're tired."
"Oh yeah... That..." I joked.
"Yeah. That." He glared at me.
"Oh quit it." I lightly smacked his chest.
"I'm fine."
"But you weren't..."
He looked down until my eyes.
"You've nearly died a dozen times but this is the first time I've watched your heart stop. This was the first time I had to watch you die and there was nothing I could do. It was just like the dreams. I don't think I can do this without you."
"Good thing you don't have to. It didn't kill me."
"But it could have." He insisted.
"So could being shot at. Being nearly blown up. Driving my car. Getting on an airplane." I answered.
"I've been by your side every time you nearly died. This was just different. It wasn't like all of those."
"How?" I asked sitting up on my elbows.
"I don't know, Lexa. Maybe it was just because I was there just watching."
"Sometimes that's all there is to do." I said touching his chest as Joshua  started crying causing Logan to start.
"I guess it's time to get up." I kissed my husband before getting out of our bed to pick up one of our sons.
"What's the matter, little man?" I asked cradling Logan.
Jonathan placed his hand on my back before picking Joshua up.
"Diaper changes then breakfast." He winked at me.
I chuckled as I nodded.
After quick diaper changes Jonathan and I made our way down into the kitchen.
As I was feeding my son my phone rang.
"Hello." I answered.
"Alexia Carter?" A small voice asked.
"Who's calling?" I asked.
"They'll find you. It's only a matter of time."
"Who is this?" I urged softly as to not disrupt my son.
Jonathan could tell something was wrong.
"Alexia?" He asked.
"They found me. They'll find you." The voice said.
"Who..."
The line went dead.
"Alexia? What was that?" Jonathan asked me still holding Joshua.
"I'm not sure. They said, 'They'll find you.'" I told him.
"Who'll find you?"
"I don't know but I don't like it." I answered.
45 minutes later Joshua and Logan were sleeping in their rockers while Cameron, Kay, Dina, Jordan, Gunther, Derek, Jennifer, Jonathan and I sat around the living room.
"You didn't recognize the voice?" Derek asked.
"No." I shook my head.
"I asked Penelope to run the number but it was a burner."
"Are there any cases you worked on that had any kind of group of people who might want to get back at you?" Dina ventured.
"I'm sure they're are plenty. I've been a part of a lot of investigations."
"Lexa. They're trying to help."
I sighed and closed my eyes.
"I know. I'm sorry. I just wasn't expecting this. Though I probably should have."
I looked over at our sleeping sons.
"I'll get you the key to my office. I keep all of my files, past and present, in the filing cabinet by the door."
I handed Jennifer my office key. She and Derek left to check out my files.
"You're thinking about something." Jonathan said leaning against the kitchen counter next to me.
"I didn't even think about it until just now. That's why I didn't tell you. It's like I blocked it out.
"It was my first assignment after I graduated from the academy. I had specialized training as... an assassin. I spent most of my first year in the FBI killing people they told me deserved it without due process. They told me they were too dangerous to arrest. I... I didn't even question it."
"I remember you called me late one night and you sounded so broken. I couldn't get you to tell me what happened and you insisted that you didn't need me to come get you. That you just wanted to talk to me." He walked towards me.
"I infiltrated a cult compound and killed the cult leader. I didn't think anyone knew I was there but what if they did know? What if our babies are in danger because of who I was nine years ago?" I could feel my panic rising in my chest.
"Then we'll keep then safe together. That's what we'll do."
"How can you not hate me?" I asked looking up at my husband.
"You did a job. Apparently you did it well but it's not who you are. I know who you are. You are still the woman I fell in love with. You are still the woman I married. You are the mother of my children. That's who you are. I've also always known what you're capable of and if that's how we need to protect our sons then how can I stand in your way?"