Chapter 28: A Thousand Years

I walked slowly down the long dark hallway in the prison. All of the cells that lined the hallway were open and empty. At the end of the hallway was a closed door. Almost against my own will I pulled the heavy door open. Before me was another hallway. This one was smaller and more confined. The scent of mold assaulted my senses. The shadows cast against the wall as I forced myself through the hallway looked like ghosts and spirits. The further I walked the more uneasy I felt. I turned the corner at the end of the hallway and found myself in a tiled room with pale lights; the walls covered in blood and hooks hanging from the ceiling. As I walked across the cement floor my feet slid in the blood and mud covering the floor. I noticed for the first time that I was wearing an ankle length white silk nightgown and was barefoot. My heart started racing as movement in the corner of the room caught my eye. I found Jonathan hanging by his wrists in the corner of the room. I rushed to my husband. The shackles he hung from bit into his skin causing blood to run down his bare arms. His face was swollen, bruised and bloodied. Cuts and welts covered his bare torso. As I tried to touch him he was yanked through the ceiling by his wrists.
"Jonathan!" I screamed his name as I shot up in our bed.
"Hey. Hey." He tried to soothe me but I couldn't breathe.
I turned in our bed to look at him. He looked concerned but perfectly unharmed.
"You're okay?" I asked still breathing heavily.
"I'm fine. Lexa, I'm fine." He assured me as I flung myself into his arms.
I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face in his neck. His strong arms wrapped around me holding me tightly against him.
"It's okay, Lexa. It was just a bad dream."
He pulled me closer so I curled into his lap in our bed. I laid my head on his chest still clinging to him. My heart began to slow down along with my breathing as his hands rubbed my back gently.
"Do you want to tell me what you dreamt?" He whispered pressing his lips to my forehead.
"You were chained and hurt but when I tried to touch you something pulled you away." I breathed against him.
His arms tightened around me again.
"It's okay, Lexa. It was just a dream. I'm okay."
"It scared me." I closed my eyes and leaned further into him.
"I know, sweetheart. I'm here. I've got you. You can go back to sleep now. We're safe." He reassured me again.
He held me tight as I began to drift back to sleep.
"Stay. Stay with me." I murmured.
"I'm not going anywhere, baby. I've got you."
When I woke up again I could feel Jonny's arms around my waist and his chest pressed against my back. I pushed back against him and his arms tightened around me.
"Hey, baby." He sighed pressing his lips to my shoulder.
"Hi, lover."
"How are you feeling?"
"I'm okay... It just shook me. Seeing you like that took me back to when we were younger."
I felt him nod.
"It was just a dream. I'm fine." He reassured me again.
I felt one of our sons pulling on our blanket. I sat up and found Logan looking up at us.
"Mama. Uppy?" He asked lifting his arms to me.
I smiled at my almost four year old son.
"Come here." I picked him up and sat him in between us.
"Hey, Logan." Jonny smiled at our boy.
"Hi, daddy." He smiled at my husband.
"Are you dropping the boys off at the preschool?" I asked.
He nodded as he tickled our youngest.
Josh rubbed his eyes in our doorway.
"Mama?" He muttered.
"Come here, sleepy head." I mused.
I picked him up and sat him on our bed.
"Daddy and I have something to tell you guys."
"What, mommy?" Logan said happily.
"You and Josh are going to be big brothers."
Logan and Josh smiled widely as we continued to talk about the two new babies growing in my body. We actually managed to wait until I finished my 12th week to announce our second pregnancy. None of our family knew yet except now our sons.
We invited everyone over to our home after Jonny dropped the twins off at preschool and made our announcement.

Cameron walked up to me afterwards.
"Can I talk to you, Lexi?" He asked.
"Of course, Cam. What's up?"
He lead me out onto my new covered porch that he and Jonathan built so the boys had a place to play with fresh air even in the rain.
"Can you help me propose to Kay?" He asked.
"I'm surprised it's taken this long for you to decide to do it." I laughed.
"Of course I'll help you. I adore her. We all do."
"Thank you so much, Lexi." He exclaimed hugging me.
"We'll talk more about it when she goes to work."
Kay left soon after Cameron and I came back in.
"Okay, Cameron. Show it to me."

"Great job, bro

"Great job, bro." Jonny said looking at the ring over my shoulder.
"Her birthday is the first of December. I was hoping we could all come here for dinner and I could do it out by the fountain?"
I looked at Jonny who nodded with a smile.
"Send me a menu of her favorite things and I'll make dinner."
On December 1st just two weeks after our pregnancy announcement our family gathered around our table to dine on garlic and rosemary lamb chops with cheddar and chive smashed potatoes and pomegranate brussel sprouts.
"That was perfect, Lex. Thank you." Kay said as she finished eating.
"Oh, I'm happy to have you over for your birthday."
Jonathan walked himself upstairs to our balcony to take pictures of the proposal.
Gunther and Jordan took Logan and Josh into the living room to play while Dina and I cleaned up after dinner. I glanced out the window in time to watch Cameron drop to one knee.
"Dina, look." I pulled her to the window so we could watch Kay kiss Cameron before he slid the ring on her finger.