Chapter 53: Fight of Your Life

I allowed this man to carry my unconscious husband into a small room with carpeted floors but I insisted he let me help him set Jonny down so he wouldn't get hurt.
"Now, sit down with your back against the wall." He pointed and I complied.
"Give me your hands." He ordered.
"I want to see Cameron. Let Cameron in here too." I countered.
He sighed and looked at me a long while.
"Give me your hands and I'll rest Jonathan with his head on you and I'll get Cameron." He finally relented.
I nodded and gave him my hands. He chained my hands above my head and moved Jonathan carefully to rest his head against my thigh. Then he left us. I kept my breathing slow and steady as to not jostle my sleeping husband.
After about ten minutes the man came back carrying Cameron in much the same way as he carried Jonathan. He laid Cameron next to me with his head resting next to Jonny's.
"Can you tell me what you want now?" I asked as he dragged a chair over to sit in front of us.
"I want my father released from prison. You put my dad in prison." He said shaking his head.
Something just wasn't right about this. Not particularly the situation we were in but this man himself.
"Can you tell me your name?"
"Benjamin." He said not looking at me.
"Benjamin. My name is Alexia."
"They call you different things." He muttered.
"That's true. My husband calls me Lexa and my brother in law calls me Lexi." I said softly.
"This wasn't your idea, was it?"
He shook his head almost violently.
"Can you show me the script he gave you?"
"How can you tell? He told me no one would be able to tell?" He yelled.
Jonny moaned in pain and moved a little on my lap.
"I work closely with people who are different." I answered softly.
"It wasn't the plan for you to take me the way you did, was it?"
He shook his head sadly.
"He wanted me to hurt you. My head hurts."
"That happens when you stop taking your meds. How long has it been?" I asked.
"Since dad was arrested."
"That's a long time. I can call someone who can get you the meds you need." I offered.
"No! No. They'll take you away from me. My collection is finally complete." He cried.
"Look at Jonathan, Benjamin. Look at him. See how pale he is?" I asked.
He nodded.
"He's lost a lot of blood. He's dying. Will you let me let someone help him?" I asked gently.
He shook his head hard.
"I know you don't like it when things don't go the way they're supposed to and I've pushed you hard today because I didn't notice until I got here how it was bothering you but I don't want to lose him. You don't want him to die, do you?"
He looked at me hard then shook his head hard.
"Can I give you the number to my friend Toby? He's a paramedic. He can get Jonny to a hospital without the police."
He nodded and 20 minutes later, Toby walked into the room.
"Alexia. Are you okay?" He asked his ice blue eyes catching mine.
"I'm fine, Toby. Jonny's hurt. Will you take him to the nearest hospital?" I asked.
He nodded.
"Sir. Will you help me get Mr. Black to the ambulance?" He asked Benjamin.
Reluctantly, he nodded and carried Jonny upstairs. Toby slid me a pin to pick the locks and followed Benjamin.
I quickly picked the locks on my chains and woke up Cameron.
"What? What's going on? Where's Jonny?" He asked.
"Jonny's with Toby on the way to the hospital. Come on. Let me get these off. We've got to move." I picked his locks and we ran the opposite direction that Benjamin and Toby went with Jonathan.
We ran out the door and locked it behind us.
"Look at me. Look at me Cameron. How badly are you hurt?" I asked looking him over.
"I'll need a doctor but I can keep up with you. Was Jonny bad?" He asked.
"He lost a lot of blood. He was really pale but I think he'll be okay." I answered.
There was a loud crash from the room we came through followed by an angry scream.
"Come on." I pulled him through the stone hallway to a stairwell on the other side of the building. In front of the stairs was Toby and the ambulance.
"Go, Cameron. Go." I pushed him ahead of me into the ambulance as Benjamin caught up to me.
He grabbed me around the waist and tossed me over his shoulder back down the stairs.
I heard the crack of a gunshot from somewhere behind me and turned to find Kay standing with her gun still aimed in his direction.
I managed to stand up and lean against my future sister in law.
"Thanks for having my back." I sighed as she helped me back up the stairs.
"What's family for?" She asked with a small smile.