Chapter 31: Happier

It wasn't often that I worked Sundays but with five male victims is as many weeks out of Nashville, Tennessee I didn't get much time with my family this week, despite being nearly 40 weeks pregnant. Each of the victims died of severe dehydration which takes roughly a week. The bodies were dumped in public restrooms around Nashville, each bound with wrists tied behind their backs and their ankles bound together.
I sat at my desk in my office staring at the four missing men out of Nashville trying to figure out whose body they were going to find this week.
A knock came at my door.
"Yeah" I called resting my head in my hands.
"Are you okay?" Jonny asked walking around my desk.
"I don't know. Are we going to find this guy before he kills someone else?" I sighed looking up at him.
"I don't know, baby." He touched my shoulder.
"I know what that feels like... I know how it feels to be starving and dehydrated."
Jonathan crouched down in front of me.
"Lexa. It's not your fault."
"If I could be out there... if I could... oh!" I excited.
I felt a sharp pain in my lower abdomen before wetness pooled on my chair.
"What? What is it?" Jonny looked at me with concern.
"It's time."
Jonny helped me out to our car that held the twins old car seats. I could feel his panic.
"Jonny. I need you right now. I'll be okay but I need you." I practically begged my husband.
"You have me. I'm here, Lexa. I've got you." He rambled looking over at me from behind the wheel.
"Hey, sis." I said when my sister answered her phone.
"I'm going into labor so Jonny and I probably won't be home tonight."
"You're so calm... How do you do that?"
"Practice sis. Not even just with my last pregnancy but with my job too."
"You'll do amazing. Have Jonny call me when I can bring the boys to meet them."
"I will, Jas. Thank you.
Dr. Roberts met us once again at Angelwing Hospital where I gave birth to Joshua and Logan four and a half years before. After around eight hours of labor I gave birth first to our third son and then to our first daughter.

Introducing:Tyler Christopher Black born May 20th 2024 at 3:10am weighing 6lbs 9oz and 20 inches AndSamantha Elizabeth Black born May 20th 2024 at 3:25am weighing 5lbs 15oz and 19 inches

Introducing:
Tyler Christopher Black born May 20th 2024 at 3:10am weighing 6lbs 9oz and 20 inches
And
Samantha Elizabeth Black born May 20th 2024 at 3:25am weighing 5lbs 15oz and 19 inches.
Jonathan and I slept in the hospital after the birth of our children.
When I woke up Jonathan was holding our daughter. The tears in his eyes were evident.
"When we had Josh and Logan I got worried that I couldn't have daughters." He said when he caught my eye.
"You're always over thinking, my love." I teased.
"How are you feeling?"
"I'm okay, sweetie. It was a much easier delivery than the last one."
"Will you call Jas so she can bring Josh and Logan to meet the twins?"
He nodded his eyes back on our daughter.
He handed me Samantha and walked out into the hallway to call my sister.
"You're going to drive your daddy crazy, aren't you?" I cooed at my daughter.
She was still sleeping in my arms when Cameron and Kay arrived to meet their new niece and nephew. Cameron came over and sat next to me in the hospital bed while Kay took Tyler from Jonathan.
"No scares this time, right sis?"
"Yeah. It was a pretty easy delivery compared to Josh and Logan."
Cameron looked over my shoulder at my daughter.
"She's going to drive him crazy." He whispered to me.
I laughed lightly.
"I was thinking the same thing." I laughed again.
Jasmine appeared in the doorway and I nodded for her to bring in the boys.
Josh and Logan sat on the couch near my hospital bed Jonny on one side and Cameron on the other. Kay helped Joshua hold Tyler and Jasmine helped Logan hold Samantha.
This vision of my life struck me hard and Jonathan noticed the tear fall from my eye.
He tilted his head in concern and I smiled at him.
"I'm okay." I mouthed at my husband.
By dinnertime Jonathan and I loaded our newborns into the carseats and took them home. Jasmine took Josh and Logan and followed us back to the house.
"I know we planned to announce the engagement today but since the twins are here."
"Kay, honey. As the mother of the twins I'm telling you they won't even notice." I teased as I sat on the couch with Samantha asleep in my arms and Logan asleep next to me.

" I teased as I sat on the couch with Samantha asleep in my arms and Logan asleep next to me

She smiled as she sat next to me looking at my daughter.
"She's going to turn heads..."
"God help Jonathan when she becomes a teenager." I laughed.
"That's not funny." Jonny pouted from the rocking chair with Tyler.
"It's just a fact, sweetheart. Don't you remember how protective you were of me?"
"Of course I do."
"I was just a stranger coming into your home... She's your daughter."
He looked at me and smiled that smile I fell in love with all those years ago.
Nothing in the world is more attractive than your husband holding your newborn child in his arms. Nothing.