Chapter 26: All or Nothing

Jonathan and Cameron flew out to Arizona to go through their grandparents estate and Joshy and Logan were with Jasmine for the day so I could spend some time cleaning our house and doing some more baby proofing. The twins were starting to stand up and it was only a matter of time before they started walking. My chest tightened at the thought of the boys walking.
The doorbell pulled me out if my thoughts.
President Cameron Hunter stood outside my front door.
"Can I help you, Mr. President?" I asked standing in front of my doorway.
"It interests me that every District Attorney that showed up to your Supreme Court hearing rallied around you and Mr. Black." He said pushing his way into my house.
"They rallied around justice, not around Jonathan and I." I shot back.
"Justice..." He muttered walking towards me.
"Back up." I said firmly as I ran into the basement stair railing.
He reached up to brush my hair out of my face. I slapped his hand away from me.
"You can do better, you know? You could have anyone you want."
He tried to touch me again.
"Do not touch me. I do have the man I want. We're happily married with twin boys."
"You know there's video... of his time in prison..."
"What is it you want from me? You can't put him back in prison so now you're threatening to humiliate him?" I tried to push my way passed him.
He grabbed my arm and pulled me back towards the staircase. Instinctively I lashed out slamming my fist into his cheek. He pushed me and I tumbled down our stairs into the theater.
I came to to blinding pain shooting through my head. Out of the corner of my right eye I could see blood drying on my eyebrow.
My wrists were bound behind my back with a set of handcuffs. Does this guy actually know anything about me? I noticed that I was still in the theater in my basement. I found Hunter pacing across the back of the theater near where I must have landed at the base of the stairs.
"I just want to make her see... she has to see that she deserves better... I deserve to be with her. I could provide for her better than that washed up magician bastard." He ranted.
"What is your problem?" I asked angrily.
"Do you have any idea how bad he is for you?"
"You don't know anything about him."
He pulled a knife and placed the blade against my throat.
"I know that those videos show how weak he is. How can he protect you and your sons if he can't even protect himself?"
I lashed out punching him again after I unlocked the handcuffs. I ran quickly through the door to the right of the screen.
My head spun as I rushed through the hallway behind the screen and up the stairs into the projector room.
I pushed my way through the door back into my kitchen where my cellphone was charging. My first instinct was to call my husband but from 2500 miles away he couldn't make it to me. I dialed Jennifer's cellphone number.
"Hello?"
"Jen. I need help."
"Alex? What's wrong?"
"Cameron Hunter came to the house. He knocked me down the stairs. I think he's trying to kill me."
"Where's Jonathan?"
"Arizona with Cameron going through their grandparents estate."
"Where are the twins?"
"With Jasmine. I'm alone."
"We'll be there soon."
"Hurry."
Hunter caught my eye from the top of the basement stairs.
He rushed towards me and knocked me into the island in the middle of my kitchen. I spun around and hit him again knocking him off me and to the floor.
I couldn't help think of my twins with my sister; hoping that they wouldn't get home early. I ran back towards my living room and through the hallway towards the first floor bathroom. He slammed into the bathroom door as I locked it. I leaned heavily against the door. A quick glance in the mirror showed that he'd cut my throat. It wasn't deep but the blood stained the front of my shirt.
If I hadn't slammed my head at least twice falling down the stairs I'd feel better about my chances against him.
"Open the door, you bitch!"
I decided to call my husband. If I died I wanted his to be the last voice I heard.
"Lexa?" He answered.
Hunter slammed what felt like his entire body against the door.
"Open the door! That weak ass magician bastard can't protect you!"
"Alexia?! What's going on?"
"Cameron Hunter came to the house."
"Are you okay?"
"I don't... ah." I winced as Hunter slammed against the door again.
"Open the fucking door!"
"I think I have a concussion. He knocked me down the stairs. He cut my throat."
"Where are the boys?" He asked, obviously trying to hide his panic.
"Jasmine has them."
"Did you call 911?"
"I called Jennifer. She said they're on their way. Jonny... my head's spinning."
I heard the door crack beneath the force of Hunter's body slam.
"They'll be there soon, Lexa. Hold on for me."
"I love you. Don't ever forget I love you." I breathed.
"Cameron and I are coming home, okay? You're going to be okay. I love you, Alexia. I love you so much."
I heard the front door slam open. I could hear Jennifer and Spencer yelling but I couldn't focus anymore. Jonathan was talking to me through the phone but I could barely hear him.
I woke up in a hospital bed. Sitting next to my bed was a woman I didn't know.
Her black hair was tied in a high bun.
"Who are you?" I muttered trying to sit up a little.
"My name is Jordan Glass. I guess I'm the new President of the United States." She said gently.
"Can you tell me what happened?" She asked.
"He'd come by before to threaten to put my husband back in prison."
"Your husband was in prison?"
"He was framed for murder. Additional evidence was found leading to his exoneration." I sighed.
"I don't know if he was jealous of my husband or jealous of me. I don't know."
"Please, ma'am. My wife needs to rest." Jonathan said from the doorway.
"Of course, Mr. Black. My apologies. Can I leave my card with you for when she's feeling up to giving a full statement?" She inquired handing Jonathan a business card.
"I'll ask her to call you when she's ready." He said taking the card.
Jonathan came and sat next to me after President Glass left.
I reached weakly towards him and he took my hand.
"You're okay." He whispered pressing his lips to my forehead.
I nodded slowly.
"You don't have a concussion. You just lost a lot of blood. The doctor says once you stop feeling so dizzy I can take you home."
I nodded and looked up at him.
"I sleep so much better in our bed." I muttered.
He chuckled.
"Cameron, Gunther and Jordan are fixing the damage in the theater, the front door and that first floor bathroom door. It'll be like nothing happened when we get back."
I nodded thoughtfully.
"But I'll know it happened." I sighed.
"I never should have left."
"Don't think like that. It was important for you to go. To learn more about your family."
"You are my family. Joshua and Logan are my family. I should have been here to make sure you were safe."
"There's no way you could have known."
He leaned down and pressed his forehead to mine.
"I'll do better."
"Jonathan. To me, you're perfect."
He smiled, a tear escaping his eyes as he kissed me.