Chapter 48: Elizabeth

"Do you want the good news or the bad news first?" I asked my husband when he woke up.
"Why does there have to be bad news?" He asked reaching for me.
"Your mother wants to see me before she'll sign the deal." I said climbing back into our bed sitting before him on my knees.
"Why?" He sat up onto his elbows.
"I don't know, love. Oscar didn't say." I answered linking my fingers in his.
"So, what's the good news?"
"Cameron and Kay finally sent out their wedding invitations." I smiled at my love handing him the elegant invitation.

" I smiled at my love handing him the elegant invitation

"How long will you be gone?" He asked looking up at me.
"Depends on what she wants. Hopefully I'll be home between nine and ten tonight."
Just over six hours later I sat in the FBI field office in New York. All Oscar said was that she wouldn't sign until she spoke to me. No mention of Jonathan or Cameron.
"Her attorney just arrived. Are you ready?" Oscar asked walking up to me.
I nodded and stood up.
"Ms. Jackson?" I said walking up behind the public defender.
"Dr. Black." She sighed shaking my hand.
"Did she tell you why I'm here?"
"No. She didn't even tell me she reached out. I found out from the DA."
I sighed.
"Let's get this over with so I can go home."
When the three of us walked in Elizabeth looked disappointed.
"Can't we talk, just the two of us?" She asked me.
"That's up to your attorney. I'm a federal agent, anything you say to me the DA can use in a trial."
"It's up to her. I'd recommend against it but if she insists." She shrugged.
"I do." She said.
Oscar and Mary Jackson walked back out leaving me alone with my 'mother in law'.
"What is it you want to talk to me about, Elizabeth?" I asked sitting in the chair across from her.
"My husband has always been a violent man. That's why I left to begin with and yes, I suppose I did abandon them. I am surprised your husband let him hit you." She motioned to my eye.
"This wasn't Jonathan's fault. I'm the Director of the FBI. Sebastian made a move and I countered it. Jonathan wasn't involved."
"He's your husband. He's always involved."
"My husband would never put his hands on me or our children, unlike you or your husband." I shot back.
"Why am I here, Elizabeth?"
"I just thought you'd like to know that just because they don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen." She shrugged.
"What are you talking about?" I leaned forward towards her.
"It wasn't anything like what he did after I left but if they annoyed him he'd knock them in the face. He didn't know this but after I gave birth to the twins he didn't want anything to do with me so I messed with them." She said nonchalantly.
"You called me up here to tell me that you molested your sons for the first two years of their lives?" I growled.
"I just figured you'd want to know everything before I signed your deal."
I could feel the anger bubble up in my chest. I stood up and slammed the chair into the table. I slammed the door behind me as Oscar ran up to me.
"I don't care if it's in prison or in a hospital but I don't want her to breathe free air ever again. I'm not coming back up here again. Not for that woman."
Jonathan and the kids were in bed by the time I got home. My heart was still pounding from what I'd learned. I sat down on our couch my elbows rested on my knees and my forehead in my hands.
I felt the couch cushion move under my husband's weight as he wrapped his arms around me.
"What happened, baby?" He whispered as I turned and buried myself in his chest.
I couldn't speak; instead I just cried in his arms as he gently rubbed my back.
"I shouldn't have gone." I cried.
"I'm sorry she upset you so much." He tried to soothe me.
"None of this is your fault." I gently nudged him with my forehead.
"What did she tell you?" He asked.
"She said he was hitting you and Cameron before she left and..." My heart hurt just thinking about it.
He didn't stop rubbing my back as I trembled with hurt and pain.
"She admitted that she hurt you... That she molested you and Cameron for those two years." I forced out.
"You know, I wish that surprised me but it doesn't."
I closed my eyes as he kissed the top of my head.
"I wish we knew for sure just one of our parents was a good person." I sighed against him.
"I asked Penelope to look into your mom after you showed me that picture of her. I guess it's been hard because she was born in Italy."
"Italy? Really?" I asked sitting up.
"I have the packet Penelope gave me in the bedroom. If you want we can go through it together?" His eyes caught and held mine.
"What if she wasn't a good person either?" I asked looking down at my hands allowing my eyes to focus on my wedding band and engagement ring.
"Then we'll continue to be good people for our kids. We'll be the good example for them. Nothing before us will matter."
I looked up into his eyes again and smiled a small smile at him.
He leaned forward to catch my lips with his.