Chapter 45: Old Soul

Derek and I left the rest of the team in the conference room to sit down in my office.
"What can I do for you, Derek?" I asked sitting down in my office chair.
"You told me to come back when I knew where my loyalty lies." He answered sitting in front of me.
"I didn't think it would take two months." I sighed.
"I took some time with my family in Chicago and my sister's actually reminded me why I've followed you for the last six years. You and I met when you were in the academy. You weren't quite 16 yet. We'd never allowed someone that young to enter the academy.
"I watched you excel in all of your training. Every aspect. The lectures and book work. The physical training. Everything. I always knew you'd be someone special.
"It wasn't even an attraction at first. I was just in awe of your skill. Then when I found out your story you were that much more incredible. I don't know when I turned it into this strange attraction.
"When you became the Director at 20 years old I couldn't believe it and I was more angry that you were that much better than me, than you announcing to us that you were engaged. In my mind, I flipped it to being jealous of Jonathan as opposed to being jealous of you.
"I did many things that I'm not proud of. Things that have hurt you, and Jonathan and Jasmine. I would like the opportunity to apologize not just to you but to them. I would love to have the chance to help you solve this case and rebuild our friendship." He said.
I sat back in my chair and sighed.
"Honestly, we could use the fresh set of eyes. You'll have to talk to Jonathan and Jasmine first." I sighed again.
"This doesn't by any means mean that I trust you at all. You've broken that trust and I can't just give it back to you."
"I understand, Alexia. Thank you for the opportunity to make this right."
I stood and lead him back to the conference room.
"Everyone. Derek has something to say." I brought their attention to the front of the room.
"I've done many things in the last six years that I'm not proud of. I was angry that Alexia was so good at this job that after three years she was promoted to Director. I snapped when I saw Jasmine looking for her and I told her not to waste her time. When I learned about the engagement I got jealous that it appeared she had everything. After I learned that Jasmine was looking to get back at her i found a way to tell her that Jonathan would be in New York the night she framed him for murder. I know that there is nothing I can say to change the things that I've done. I can't give you back the six years with your sister and I can't give you back the two years of freedom that was ripped from you. I can't erase the pain I've caused but I would like to apologize from the bottom of my heart. I would like to help you find who's terrorizing your family now." He looked directly at Jonathan and Jasmine as he spoke.
Jonathan looked at me.
"I think we need the fresh eyes. It doesn't have to mean anything but that. You have every right to be angry. I am too. Forgiveness is something that may happen over time but I certainly don't expect either of you to forgive him now, I don't." I said.
Jonathan nodded and looked at Jasmine who also nodded.
"Okay. Let's fill him in and get started."
After almost an hour of review we came to these major questions that needed to be answered.
-Who are these people?
-What is the significance of the children murdered in 1999?
-Why did they choose the names of these victims to give to Christian Lynch?
-What is the reason for killing Jasmine's family but not seeking me out to attack me?
-Why would Lynch liken their group to ours?
"So where do we even start?" Jordan asked.
"What do we know?" I countered.
"We know that these six people have structured their group to match ours." Dina mentioned.
"We know that they chose the names of these particular victims for a reason. There were twelve victims to choose from and they chose these six." Jasmine ventured.
"Can we get a description of these people from Lynch?" Cameron asked.
"We can try." I said.
"Derek and Kay. Go down and see if you can get descriptions to give to Penelope to run. Gunther, Jordan, and Dina go back to the Archive in New York and look back in Sebastian and Eric's things to see if maybe there's someone who would have a reason to come after us. Jonathan, Cameron, Jasmine and I will stay here and work on the connection to the murders in 1999 and 2000." I ordered.
After our group dispersed Jasmine and I listened to Jonathan and Cameron bounce ideas back and forth...
"What if our fathers killed these kids?" I asked.
"How would they have done that?" Cameron asked.
"Cam and I lived with our father in New York and your father was in Texas, Lexa. What do you remember?"
"I'm not sure. It's a 26 hour drive from Virginia Beach to Mount Pleasant, Texas. It's only six hours from Virginia to New York. Was there ever a time that your father was away for a day or on an overnight trip?" I asked.
"Sure. For most of those two years he did a lot of solo shows on the road." Cameron's eyes went wide.
"Do you really think they'd do this?"
"My father spent my whole life bringing women into the house to care for me and killing them. I don't put anything passed him."
Jasmine just sat staring at the board.
"Do you see something, Jaz?" I asked.
"I'm not sure. I think Willow was the name of Skyler's first girlfriend and I think I went to school with Owen Baker." She muttered.
Cameron wrote down the possible connections.
"Lexa. Do you remember hearing anything back then that could link your father to this?" Jonathan asked me.
I closed my eyes and tried to search my memories. Memories I'd tried to keep buried in my subconscious.
"When I was five or six I started hearing crying through the ceiling. I tried to ask about it once and he beat me so badly I was unconscious for a week. I never asked again." I remembered.
Jonathan took my hand gently.
"This still doesn't tell us why they chose these names?" Jasmine sighed.
"I think I have the answer." Penelope said from the doorway.